• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I... Fall... To Pieces

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a year into running my RE 5 inch lift. The XJ is really straight to have 250,000 miles and many easy trails under its belt. I was at Tellico this weekend, and really gave the springs a flex workout.

Do all XJ that are wheeled sound as bad as mine? The unibody creaks (naturally), but I also have steering creaks related to the track bar, a door pop from where the door is coming loose at the hinges, and I can hear the springs rubbing the "frame" part of the unibody at full flex.

I'm used to a CJ and the full frame seperates me from all those noises. In the XJ, I expect more sounds, but I'm mostly concerned about the springs rubbing. Is that Typical with the RE 5.5 kits?

Just out of curiosity, on a scale of 1-10... how noisy is your XJ's suspension, body, loose parts sonds while you are wheeling?

My RE 5.5 springs rub. Rusty's 4.5's did to. JIM.

Harvo said:
Just out of curiosity, on a scale of 1-10... how noisy is your XJ's suspension, body, loose parts sonds while you are wheeling?

noise will fluctuate depending on your combination of heims, superflex joints, johnny joints, etc. and the wear of these parts. I've ridden in some deathly quiet rigs before but usually they are fresh outta the shop, and as time goes on, they get louder.

Mine creaks and goans just as well. My driver's side coil likes to rub up against my track bar brack and pop off, giving it the *boing* sound. The only real way to fix alot of the sounds is to stiffen up the frame and chasis...aka cage it.

If mine is not making any noise I would start to worry.

afd516 said:
If mine is not making any noise I would start to worry.
x2!

mines easily a 6 and on the road just the same. i get worried when i drive other vehicles that are quiet

Harvo said:

Probably a 10 here LOL If mine quits making noise that means I'd better turn around and pick up whatever just fell off. Like said above depends on how your rig is set up and the wear of parts over time. Later Jeff

On the road, she's pretty quiet...

On the trail, she "talks" to me. If I didn't hear the noises, I'd be really scared.
All the creaks, groans and crunching noises let me know we're still in harmony with each other. The REALLY loud ones let me know that I MAY have pushed the limits a little, but if things suddenly go SILENT, then it's time to go looking for the parts that fell off!

The noises are really your friend- don't be a'scared. A frame straightening setup will lessen the noises, but the sounds tell you what part of the jeep is working.

I got home from school last week and took the jeep for a ride and i would give it a full 10...i guess i just forgot how loud it was. You can never go wrong with the radio fix tho, is something is making noise and its not supposed to just turn up the radio and presto! No more noises

Back