• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air conditioner compressor bearing

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
My air conditioner compressor bearing is worn out and noisy,is it beyond the scope of the backyard mech.without special tools to take the pulley and clutch off and replace the bearing?I have 0 experience working on these compressors so any help/advice will be appreciated.

Where can I get these parts?

btw it's a sanden compressor on a 89 4liter

Last edited:
I did mine this summer just a few months ago, its very easy ,unless someone tightened the snot out of the drive plate nut it'll come right off. Then its all about the snapring pliers from there. easy to change (mine was an 87 with the sanden compressor) Local parts house had it in stock. If you need a good part number message me and i can get it for you......Ohh pay close attention to the little shim washers when you take the drive plate off. i.e. how many /which ones were behind it, as this is critical for proper spacing of the drive plate to pulley.......

Last edited:
When my bearing started to go bad I tried to just get the bearing itself but no luck noone carried just the bearing and the company that makes the bearings in Canada never e-mailed me back about trying to get one directly from them. The only thing I could get was a clutch kit which Jeep wanted 289 dollars for. Which is just as much as a replacement comrpessor from advance. I got one off a junkyard WJ's compressor.

Well if anyone needs a bearing i can get them for around 23.00 if i remember right .....right off the shelf (for the sanden) I will edit this tomarrow with a timken ( i believe ) part number

OK so i cant edit, but its a timken 5001kff , just under 25 bucks on the shelf.......i dont know how many years it fits but it does fit an 87 with the sanden compressor. If you cant find one let me know i can get it....

I dont work for any parts chain, but we have some very good independant suppiers here. I work for an independant import shop......

In another thread someone stated that a clutch puller is required for this job. Perhaps you assumed that as a given but thought I would check before proceeding.

Yes i knew a puller is sometimes required (only when someone tightens the snot out of the nut as I said in an earlier post) they mount on a taper and mine came right off easily w/o a puller...

I was sitting here looking at the date I started this thread and started reminiscing(sp) about when I actually had a/c..
Now all that crap is long gone and my alt sits up high and dry on that perch.Although I'm sure the part # will help those looking to keep their chill on.....

What tools were needed to replace the bearing?
On my style compressor all that is needed:
  • Service Manual
  • Snap ring pliars
  • 14mm socket
  • Something to hold the armature wheel while you loosen the shaft nut (i used a flat piece of bar on the lugs.
  • Flat screwdrivers to pry off the armature wheel
  • I used a large pulley puller to get the main pulley off. It was awkward, and I pulled against the back side of the pulley so I had to be careful. They make an A/C puller kit if you don't want to risk it.
  • Something to hammer the old bearing out and new one in.
  • If your armature has three threaded holes, it's probably on tighter and you'll need that puller set.

Good thing you are good at building sliders because you suck at ze internets! ZOMBIE THREAD! :D
I put this part number in this post because there are only a few that include other bearing part numbers. Easier to keep it all in one spot. Plus this post is no less relevent 5 years later :laugh:

On my style compressor all that is needed:

Thanks.
I have loud bearing and have not been able to find the part number.
I have seen others buy a compressor just to remove the clutch, leaving the old compressor in place,

Good thing you are good at building sliders because you suck at ze internets! ZOMBIE THREAD! :D

Lets see, first we B*tch people out for not searching, and then we B*tch them out for trying to be helpful? Well, at least you put a smiley with a smile! :D

Yes, as XCM said, posting up a part number to help the next guy searching is NEVER a bad idea. :yelclap:

Now, I you will excuse me, I have some necro-postings to make. :roflmao:

I put this part number in this post because there are only a few that include other bearing part numbers. Easier to keep it all in one spot. Plus this post is no less relevent 5 years later :laugh:

Completely agree and I thank you for it.... especially since I just started searching around for this info today since my A/C clutch seems to be dying. :cheers:

Back