• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Questions

93XJ-Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Im new here and I have a couple questions....
First off, I have a 4.5 Inch suspenion lift under the christmas tree and some 33's on the way, what other suspenion/drivetrain mods should I buy? Since this is a Weekend Wheeler only, it will see asphalt as much as it will mud....
The next one is about my engine swap... My 4.0 is on its last legs, Its been sitting for a couple year and since then, its 4.0 has become a Rat Nest.....
I want to swap a 5.9 from a ZJ/Durango RT into it, what all work and costs would I be looking at? What would I have to do about a new Aftermarket Parts? My brother says he could get me a Chevy 350 but I wanna stick Mopar in the Jeep, just I want it to be a V8. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks

93XJ-Sport said:
Hi, Im new here and I have a couple questions....
First off, I have a 4.5 Inch suspenion lift under the christmas tree and some 33's on the way, what other suspenion/drivetrain mods should I buy? Since this is a Weekend Wheeler only, it will see asphalt as much as it will mud....
The next one is about my engine swap... My 4.0 is on its last legs, Its been sitting for a couple year and since then, its 4.0 has become a Rat Nest.....
I want to swap a 5.9 from a ZJ/Durango RT into it, what all work and costs would I be looking at? What would I have to do about a new Aftermarket Parts? My brother says he could get me a Chevy 350 but I wanna stick Mopar in the Jeep, just I want it to be a V8. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks

First off, welcome. :wave:

Secondly, the search feature will be your best friend. Use it to find info you may have questions about. If you can't find stuff, then post up a question about it.

You are more than likely going to need a slip yoke eliminator and a new driveshaft. Search around for info on that.

Since it sees mud and pavement, you can't go wrong with some BFGoodrich MTs or a set of Super Swamper TrXuS MTs. You can search to see which gets better reviews and to help develop your opinion.

As for the swap, that's another story, and probably more work than you'd want to do. I'd say just swap another 4.0 in.

Have you regeared? Are you planning to? That should be pretty high on the priority list.

Good luck with everything. :thumbup:

Ive done some searching, found a couple articles about it, Im working on making a list of parts I need, but since Im only 15, I need some help with the list. And this may sound dumb but what is regearing? Im 15, remember.....

I wouldn't waste time on some funky engine swaps.

First priority mentioned above is a driveshaft and slip-yoke eliminater.
Do a search for Tom Woods Driveshafts. Get referrals for local driveshaft mechanics.

Then if the engine is on a last leg, do a search for stroked engines on the board. It is a current topic in another section of the forums. I have seen an advertisement for Stroked 4.6's in various magazines.

Gears. Just got mine done from a local mechanic and enthusiast. Look for a local Gear expert referred from more than three people.
To get more info, do a search for Randy's Ring and Pinion, online.

To get referrals, go to local Jeep enthusiasts, your friends, your Dad's friends, mechanic's your Dad trusts. Take the time and save the money to get it done right.

Jason

JMotorsprt said:
I wouldn't waste time on some funky engine swaps.

First priority mentioned above is a driveshaft and slip-yoke eliminater.
Do a search for Tom Woods Driveshafts. Get referrals for local driveshaft mechanics.

Then if the engine is on a last leg, do a search for stroked engines on the board. It is a current topic in another section of the forums. I have seen an advertisement for Stroked 4.6's in various magazines.

Gears. Just got mine done from a local mechanic and enthusiast. Look for a local Gear expert referred from more than three people.
To get more info, do a search for Randy's Ring and Pinion, online.

To get referrals, go to local Jeep enthusiasts, your friends, your Dad's friends, mechanic's your Dad trusts. Take the time and save the money to get it done right.

Jason

X2

And welcome to the wonderful world of XJ

:cheers: only soda in your glass tho....

"Regearing" means changing the gear ratio in the differentials (axles).

Higher number means more mechanical advantage, meaning more power to the wheels, but the engine runs at higher RPM to drive down the road at the same speed.

For example, XJs with automatic and the 4.0L engina all came with 3.54 gears in the axles. To move up to 33-inch tires and run at eseentially the same engine speed (and have similar power to the ground) you would need to change the axle gears to 4.10 or 4.56 ratio.

Back