• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff. fluid coming out of vent tube...

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. Ok...here is the low down. I have a 94 XJ. I recently swapped in a Dana 44 from an 87 XJ. It had the factory posi, or whatever chyrsler called it. Anyway, just recently I installed 4.56 gears and an ARB locker. Today when I was messing around under the Jeep, I saw a lot of diff fluid along the "frame rail". It seems to be coming out of the vent tube which goes from the axle tube up into the "frame rail". Its enough fluid to drip onto the driveway. How in the heck can fluid come up that tube? Is there pressure building in the diff somehow? Did I overfil the diff? I mean, the rear was slightly jacked up when I filled it, but I have 6 degree shims so I figured it would equal out.

The only thing that I can come up with, is something that was in the install instructions for the ARB. Something about adding a drain hole on the driver's side of the carrier. While installing the ARB, I thought everything was in order, but I could have been mistaken. Can anyone explain this additional drain hole better than ARB's instructions? Any info would be great...or just telling me not to worry will work too. Thanks in advance!!

Justin

Ok...more searching brought up some past threads on this...so I apologize for reposting about it. Im really nervous now though because Im starting to think it is this "extra" drain that is causing me problems.
Does anyone have any real photos of this drain hole? The drawing in the ARB instructions isnt very descriptive. I read a couple threads of people saying its easy just drill a 1/4" hole or make a slot etc... but when Im looking at the diff I just dont see whats supposed to be done. Kind of making me nervous because I did put a lot of miles on the new gears and all this past weekend...I really really hope nothing got messed up.

Justin

They discussed this on the modified board sometime in the middle of summer. It would probably be better to ask somebody over there. I tried a search and didn't find the thread.
I noticed the last time I had my D35 apart, that the shim wasn't completely round. There was notch at the edge (actually a piece of the edge cut off) to allow the GO to flow back to the center.
I believe the 1/4" hole (or notch) you were talking about is for the air feed.

langer1: Yeah thats what I would have come up with too...except I didnt even have the air line hooked up yet. I installed everything and couldnt get to hooking up the air line until later. I have since then sent air to the locker and all seems well with that. Im almost convinced that I have to pull it all out and make that drain hole. Not too thrilled about that.

Justin

i had this very thing happen to me when i got an arb installed in my d44. i too had a hard time picturing what to do. but i just basically mirrored the hole that's on the top. try to roughly get the bottom hole to line up with the one on the top.

i know it's not much help. sorry.

Hey man...any info or reassurance is more than appreciated! Doing the gears and ARB was my first time really messing with a rear that in depth. I had someone helping me of course... I guess when I looked at it last I just didnt picture it...so tonight Im pulling it all out and Im determined to figure it out.

So... the hole you made... do you remember what size drill bit you used? or some other cutting device? Also...did it solve your problem? Thanks again man!

Justin

honestly, i don't remember. i don't like messing with that stuff because of my lack of experience. so i had a much more experienced friend help me. he just found a bit that would be about the size of the hole up top and used that. but because the hole up top was more of a rectangle, he drilled two holes - one on top of the other. it's been working fine ever since.

Cool... Looks like Ill give it a go. As long as that stopped the oil spewing problem. I might just get her going tonight just in time to continue breaking in the gears. Then pull the cover once again in a couple hundred to change the fluid again... I really wish I would have tried to figure out what ARB was talking about the first time around! Thanks again! You just renewed my confidence!

Justin

Back