• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15 or 16 inch wheels?

15's unless there was a clearance issue. There are more tires designed for 15 inch wheels than for 16's. Bigger rims are becoming more popular with the tire companies, but 15's have been around forever.

Edit: Tires for 15's are generally cheaper also.

i would say get cheapo 15s, because the tires are cheap too. in the future, say if you want to do the WJ front brakes, then you could upgrade to 16s and you wouldn't have spent so much money on the first set. if you think you will want bigger brakes, which you probably will with big tires, get the 16s now and save by not buying 2 sets of wheels.

Depends on what I'm doing at the time, or what the truck will be for. If it's a daily driver, I'll keep whatever it came with and tire it accordingly. If I was doing alot of wheeling or driving in areas where cuts and punctures were common, I'd go 15's. If it was only going to see street use, especially performance street use, I'd get a set of 16" Icons or Rubi Wheels with a good all season performance tire that's a little on the wide side and still keep it in the 60-65 series aspect ratio.

If you go with a 16", you get some different tire sizes, like the 265/75/16, 285/75/16, little more narrow sizes if you need the clearance. As stated they cost a bit more, but if you need them, you need them, that's that.

I have 16x8 Rubicon wheels with 265-70-16 All seasons for street use and 265-75-16 MTR's on 16x7 Steelies (4" BS) for off road use. The 265-75's aren't as wide as the 32's on 15's and fit well. I have a 4.5 RE lift with no fender trimming...

I have 16" on a second XJ and I just got tires this weekend. 235/70 and they costed my 160 per BFG AT. I bought my 31's for about 30 bucks cheaper per.

it depends on YOUR priorities and intentions. i have a 2000 xj on 15's (ats)and my 88 xj is on 16's (and mtrs).

Back