• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?? Bump Steer ??-Searched

mrbill3

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I started getting bump steer. I searched, but I didn't find any mention of one of the symptoms I have. About a week ago I noticed a clunking noise in the front end. I had my daughter yank the steering wheel from side-to-side and I noticed that is there play in the ball-stud on the upper end of the track bar. (I ordered a new Rusty's adjustable one and also the upper mount on Tues.) About 2 days after I started to hear the noise, the steering wheel started to go off center clockwise about 3/4 inch.(It's not pulling to either side) Then yesterday the bump steer started. I went over a bump in the freeway and no problems. About 2 hrs. later I went over the same bump again and that's when it started. Now seems to be happening on every bump, not on potholes, and the steering feels a bit sluggish. As for my rig, it's an 89 Laredo, 4.0 automatic with 3" full spring pack lift with new shocks, new steering stabilizer, bump stops and steering box brace, all from Rusty's. It also has new ProComp 31X10.5X15's on new 8" black steelies that were balanced and installed about 2 months ago. I installed all the gear myself (had the tires balanced and the alignment done at a local 4X4 shop). My question is would the bad track bar cause the steering wheel to go off center and the steering to feel sluggish? I know it can cause the bump steer and I hope the new one stops it.

i think you answered your own question here. the "slop" in the trackbar will allow the axle to move side-to-side and will in turn affect steering input. i'm fighting with this issue myself in my rig.

Re: ?? Bump Steer ??-Searched----UPDATED

My Rusty's adjustable track bar and mount came today. I installed them after work and when I removed the old ones I found the problem (I Think). It seems that the castle nut split on one side and allowed the sahft to drop about 3/16". This in turn caused the hole to start to be come oval in sahpe.
It drives MUCH better now and tomorrow I will take it back to the bump in the freeway that has been causing it to vibrate when I hit it ever since 11-25-05.

that's not bumpsteer. sounds like death wobble.

bumpsteer isn't dependent on speed, or "hitting" something, it has to do with the relative geometry of the draglink and trackbar. you can actually check for bumpsteer in your driveway by bouncing the front end up and down and watching for movement in the steering wheel.

Jeepin Jason said:
that's not bumpsteer. sounds like death wobble.

I thought that too, but it really wasn't a violent shaking that I would associate with "Death Wobble" It was prety mild and didn't cause me to have to change my shorts! Anyway, today I hit that bump at 75MPH and it was smooth as glass! In fact it was so smooth, I went back and did it again just to be sure I wasn't dreaming.

Back