• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARGHHH!!! just learned about "death shake"

khall

NAXJA Forum User
I just learned my "new" 87 cherokee has a death shake. The guy at Les Schwab said its a common problem with cherokees and he doesnt know what to do to fix it. I cant keep it if it does this all the time. Ive almost rolled it 5 times now. Please help, if you have any ideas drop them here. thanks.

khall said:
I just learned my "new" 87 cherokee has a death shake. The guy at Les Schwab said its a common problem with cherokees and he doesnt know what to do to fix it. I cant keep it if it does this all the time. Ive almost rolled it 5 times now. Please help, if you have any ideas drop them here. thanks.
1. search for death wobble on this forum
2. make sure your alignment is up to par
3. make sure your tires are balanced
4. make sure all your tre's and bushings up front are in good condition

Kejtar said:
1. search for death wobble on this forum
2. make sure your alignment is up to par
3. make sure your tires are balanced
4. make sure all your <ed>tie rod ends</ed> and bushings up front are in good condition

Search under "Death Wobble"

Most any front end part can be the end cause of DW. Mostly it's a combination of bad and/or out of balance parts. You may need to dissasemble the front end and replace any part remotely not up to specification to solve the problem.

Starting with #3 above is a good start :)

,Ron

My DW was caused by the shock absorber on steering arm(?) under the front end. Replaced it with an new one and have not had the wobble since. My tie rod ends and other front end parts are probably getting worn with 226,000 miles on it, and will probably get the wobbles again some day from those. If you do a search as Kejtar suggested, be prepared to read a while. There have been numerous threads on that subject.

I on the other hand have replaced my wheels, tires, shocks, brakes, trac bar, had an alignment and a balance and STILL havent been about to drive my daily driver over 50mph in nearly a year..... most recent mechanic said steering gear...

Back