• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory radio

xray

NAXJA Member #1056
Is there anything special about the factory stereo unit that comes with the premium sound system or do they just have the upgraded speakers?

I think you're on the right track...upgraded speakers and a few more watts from the stereo. Infinity stuff is pretty good, but I'm sure you could do better.

prb24 said:
I think you're on the right track...upgraded speakers and a few more watts from the stereo. Infinity stuff is pretty good, but I'm sure you could do better.
He has an '89. Back then the premium system used Jensen speakers, and I don't know if they added an amplifier back then.

I have an '89 with the premium system and no amplifier was added. The premium system head-unit had a cassette tape player.

Yep Jensen speakers in doors and gate. Since x-rays '89 is old I'll bet the speaker's paper cones are shot.

Eagle said:
He has an '89. Back then the premium system used Jensen speakers, and I don't know if they added an amplifier back then.

Johnny V said:
I have an '89 with the premium system and no amplifier was added. The premium system head-unit had a cassette tape player.

Ooops...sorry 'bout the bum info. I guess I was thinking of the newer XJ's. I stand corrected.

Yea the speakers were shot a while back and the original unit is long gone. I was just wondering because I am restoring a 1990 2dr. limited at this time. I just wanted to know if I had to find something special at the junk yard. Thanks.

I think mine came with an eight-track.

No, just kidding. It was cassette.

I have a CD in it now, but it's been bumped and jolted around so much it doesn't work right anymore.

Yeah, from 87 to aboout 92 the top of the line in sound was the Jensen Accusound package. I'm not sure what they did with the head unit, other than adding DNR (Dynamic Noise Reduction) and Dolby surround sound to it (I have one stock from my 87, which strangly did not come with the Jensen speakers), but they added better speakers, and 2 tweeters in the front. from what I've seen many XJs are actually wired for tweeters in the front. I swapped in a set of Jensen tweeters from my old 87 Pioneer. Not the best in sound, but they do make a difference, and they were free. I'm probably just going to end up replacing everything with Pioneer anyways.

Back