• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT install....help

Mrburns

NAXJA Forum User
So im using this little holiday break to do my TNT Y-arms....everything is going "smooth" i guess....but i wanted to know about the CA's brackets...does/can any post a few pics of how much they removed...and how....thats tomorrows project and i just want to know what i'm shooting for....i am running 8" coils so i know i don't have to remove as much...but im thinking i want a clean look....so should i just cut the whole thing off? if so where/how...Thanks

Take it all the way to where it meets the frame. If not you are asking for it to get caught up. Some have used a torch, cutting wheels, sawzall as close as you can and then a grinder to get the rest. After it's done and cool, cover it over with undercoating.

yeah i tried Bob today....guess they took an extra day off...can't blame him...im sure he's busy as heck...everything else is going along well...got the belly pan on...just need to torque it down...and swap on the arms...not TOO much to go...i can say they need to update the webpage...they list like 4 tools needed to install...more like 20... hasta

but im super happy with how it all arrived and looks!!!

Cut it all off... You won't be needing it again :D. Trim the inside seam, but be sure not to pass the spot welds.

IMG_5858-2.jpg

That's a decent side shot to give you an idea... You'll be able to tell when you flex if you need to trim more...

-Will

Thanks XJwilly..

That is like the perfect pic for what i wanted to see... :wave:

I just ordered up my TNT last week should be tomorrow or Monday. I hate to hi jack the thread but I have a couple questions. Its going on my 91 MJ

1)Can you install the belly pan before you remove the LCA mounts? It would me a bunch to be able to install that at work. I have a hoist there.

2) Do the LCA mounts have to be removed before I install the longarms?

3) Mrburns- With 8 inch coils what are you doing for steering? It is the only that is bothering me about my lift. I am running 7.5 inch coils.

Thanks in advace

no worries about 'jacking it....im sure we've all done it at somepoint...and that IS why this is here....for help to all...

as for steering i'm not going todo anything with mine as of now...i've been running 8" for a few years...but im in the market for some waggy axles so i'll deal with any issues when i get to mounting them...

YES...you can install the belly pan without the longarms...or removing the lowers (uppers)... i would suggest a new tranny mount...i know mine was TOASTED!! 34bucks at the store...but i think its worth it...

I don't know about the CA brackets having to be romoved prior to the longarms being installed not yet that far...but i don't think so....i just wouldn't want to drive with them there....they look like they'd hit really quick...

best of luck...

Thanks for the fast response. I already have a poly tranny mount to match my motor mounts. I am hoping to at least get the belly pan at the shop I work @. I don't have a torch @ home yet and my compressor sucks. Just trying to plan a little for as how I am gonna remove the old brackets. Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get it here and on my MJ.

i would think the longarms would hit if you don't take the old brackets off, i'll have to look at mine.

I am trying to figure out what I have get off to get the long arm on in my garage. Then load it on the trailer and take it to work and remove the rest the right way. I know I am getting ahead of my myself by a few weeks but I am not wanting to go in totally blind. With limited resources in my garage I want to do what I can at home.

get a grinder with a cut-off wheel and a grinding wheel, you can get a grinder at wal-mart for $30, it get's the job done.

comancheon33 said:
1)Can you install the belly pan before you remove the LCA mounts? It would me a bunch to be able to install that at work. I have a hoist there.

Yes - you can. But IMO it's much easier to have the longarms attached to the belly pan before you bolt it up - They need to be tight, and it's much easier to tighten them before it's up

comancheon33 said:
2) Do the LCA mounts have to be removed before I install the longarms?

No - But again it's going to be much easier to remove them without that long arm there... Work smart not hard :D

-Will

Sorry guys, first long weekend in , well I don't remember. Phone is OFF. :)

You need to remove the LA mounts completely. When done it should look like the factory never installed them, that's the way we do it in the shop anyway. The pinch seem needs a little trimming but as Will points out only to the spot welds. And finally you can install the Belly Pan only then attack the LA mounts ant the Y-link install another day.

Call Monday if you still need help.

Bob

Well the install went "smooth" i just have a few little things to workout...the hardest part of the whole thing was swapping in the new coils to rid myself of the damn spacers i had been using...I just can't wait to get the rear discs done so i can test it out...!!

Back