• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will/can a t-case from a s-10 work on and XJ?

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I have a 231 t-case that has a skipping chain. I have cheap (almost free) access to a 231 t-case from a mid 96 chevy s-10. Anybody know what is the difference in the two cases? Anybody ever hear of someone using one in an XJ?

Thanks

DAryl

JEONLYEP said:
Okay, so I have a 231 t-case that has a skipping chain. I have cheap (almost free) access to a 231 t-case from a mid 96 chevy s-10. Anybody know what is the difference in the two cases? Anybody ever hear of someone using one in an XJ?

Thanks

DAryl
What engine was it behind? Can you get a spline count on the input?

Kejtar said:
What engine was it behind? Can you get a spline count on the input?

has to be a 4.3...i have yet to see a 2.2 4wd in those.

It would also have to be a floor shift t-case and not the electric.

As far as I know, I don't believe it will just bolt up. There's a few key differences as far as input shaft length and things like that.

However...the NP231C as it's called (instead of the NP231J like we have) has some stronger internal parts that you can use to beef up your existing 231. The low-range gearset uses 6 planetaries instead of 3, and that whole gear cluster should just drop right in - check to make sure the gear cut on your input gear matches that of the 231C planetaries first though, as it was changed in later years.

The chain in the 231C is also slightly wider. If you swap over all the chain sprockets from the chevy mainshaft onto the jeep mainshaft, you can run the wider chain from the 231C in your jeep unit.

Basically...no, I don't think it'll bolt in, but you CAN use the internals from the 231C to rebuild yours slightly stronger than it used to be.

I am sure that if it doesn't bolt directly on to your tranny you could probably get it done. Advance Adapters might have what you need to do this, and if they don't they could make it.

I was just wondering about the same swap, but for a diffrent reason. I am thinking of swapping my peguot for a 700r4 and the 231c should bolt up but what about other issues, speedo? mounting? how about front half 231c back half 231j? sorry about the hi-jack

It won't. I believe the 231C has a 27 spline input...whereareas the jeeps are 21 or 23 spline depending on year/engine/tranny.

Re: Will/can a t-case from a s,10 fmrk on and XJ?

While xou `ue in there, put'in a new chain so you don't have to take it apart again this time next year.
,Oops, vnat was`phe orivenal prtmmire of%thhs txvead?
l :D

the s-10 x-case uses a 5 bolt pattern, jeep uses 6-bolt to mount to the tranny. the back half of the cases are the same. as for the input shaft, yes there is a difference in the spline count, the chevy has more. the internal parts are the same. if you are looking to get heavier gears and chain, use the parts from a 208c, or 241d (dodge). the chains are like a 1/2 inch wider, and the planrtaries are 6, not 4. i use the s-10 cases and 5spd. trannies in alot of my junk, so this is common swap for me.

Okay, so we torn into three cases today. the NP 231j (mine), NP 231c(freebie), and a NP207C(freebie).

To review:

No way for the 207 to work, but the guts from the 231c are going into the 231j,but with keeping the input from the 231j. The rest is either from my new SYE or out of the 231c. Chain is about 1/2 inch wider and there are 6 instead of 3 planetary gears.

The bolt pattern on the 231c is with 5 bolts, and not six so that's why we're keeping the 231j case and putting the 231c internals into it.

We should have the case back together by the weekend. Then for the next test I'll be putting a front drive shaft in for the rear. We'll let you know how that goes.

DAryl

Here is a newbie question if you swap out the internal gears in your transfer case with s-10 gears and chains will your gear ratio change? Or are you just gaining strenth in your transfer case?

The ratios for the gears sets are the same, these days. The biggest advantage of "crossbreeding" the x-cases is to get the wider chain, gears and and improved 6 pinion planetary set. This will net you a rather nice increase in strength, and not add a noticable amount of weight.

Got some photos, although not great quality.

Photo 1: A side view of the inputs. 231c on left, 231j on right.

scan1.jpg

Photo 2: Chains, a quarter on each to help show the difference in width.

scan2.jpg

Photo 3: Inputs with planetary.

scan4.jpg

Photo 4: All together.

scan5.jpg

Back