• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear fender trimming/cutting/bending (im a noob)

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i hate to ask this cause its posted everywhere but it doesnt seem like any of the rear fender triming/cutting/bending goes into detsil i used the search option like hella times and all the threads talk about what saws to use and how to tape it off. what about the rear i dont get it i see that you have to cut slices in it then bend it but how do you bend it so you dont get a lot of flat spots beacsue metal doesnt fold in a oval like the shape i want my rear quarter panel in. does anyone have step by step instructions for this and maybe even some pics? i got the front down so it will be clean but what about the back it seems way harder.

Do the back the same as you did the front. The only difference is the backs innner fender is in the way and should be cut back a little farther than the outer fender so that when you fold the outer fender over it meets the inner.

Sorry I don't have any pics for this...but if your not in a hurry I will be redoing mine in a couple weeks. I'll try to take some pictures.

ok i understand all that stuff but what should i use to fold it back what would make the cleanest folds so where i fold it it isnt rectangular? should i se pliers? or a hammer or what? and what do you mean about the inner fender you mean like the wheel well like where the two peices of metal meet at the pinch seams?

Shomsky462 said:
ok i understand all that stuff but what should i use to fold it back what would make the cleanest folds so where i fold it it isnt rectangular? should i se pliers? or a hammer or what?

For the rears I trimmed below the pinch welds with a plasma cutter. I then used an angle grinder to clean it up. Towards the bottom of the wheel well I used a 3# hammer to fold the seem over itself, nice and flat. I then added some paint & auto trim to cover the rough edges.

DR

If you want to cut higher, and are able to weld, just cut where the stock flare meets the sheet metal, cut off excess sheet metal that remains attached to the wheel well, cut slits to accomodate pounding up the wheel well, and weld it all back up. That's a very basic description of what you're supposed to do, but along the way, you'll have to figure out some things on your own. I did it to mine without any prior knowledge on the subject, and they turned out pretty good. Make sure you weld it all back up though, because that area is a structurally important spot, which is why it's spot welded to begin with.

that area does dick for structuar, because i dont have my wheel wells, havent for quite some time, mine were rotted out, so bye bye they went

Rear fender work is a total drag...
It is hard to get it to look good if your not going to cover it with pricewackers...

i used a grinder and cut off wheels and a sawzall to cut up and into the well like jeepin jasons write up... but even after cutting and malleting, i didnt have enough clearance.. very annoying..
i will post later how i figured it all out.. but i would also recommend looking at DPGoffroads web site as they do alot of fender trimming for the lifts they run..
http://dpgoffroad.com/re.htm
they cutem and cover the edges with the rubber trim stuff......

aaron

I don't remember where I got this, but I would follow this only using more relief cuts. Also, I don't remember what the intention was behind the different colors, if any, but I'm going to completely remove the areas in yellow.
rearfendertrim.jpg

so pretty much just make a bunch of relief cuts until the sheet meatl kind flares out then bend it over with pliers then use a rubber mallet or hammer to fold it up maybe i should use both one first and one later? thanx a lot for the help though everyone and thanx for the pics!!!

If you just cut them off, the outer and inner skins will be separated. There are spot welds in that area if you look closely. They would need to be either welded back together or bolted somehow. That's why it's easier to use radial relief cuts and fold/bend them back.

I didnt want to bend mine as it didnt offer enough clearance...so i just cut at the body line with a sawzall. You will seperate the inner fender well from the outside of the fender doing this, but using a hammer, you can push the inner of the well up farther and use some expanding foam to fill in the gaps...trim the foam and sand it smooth and spray the entire underside of the fenderwell with a good rubberized undercoating and youll never notice.

do you have any pics of this?
Jeffro600 said:
I didnt want to bend mine as it didnt offer enough clearance...so i just cut at the body line with a sawzall. You will seperate the inner fender well from the outside of the fender doing this, but using a hammer, you can push the inner of the well up farther and use some expanding foam to fill in the gaps...trim the foam and sand it smooth and spray the entire underside of the fenderwell with a good rubberized undercoating and youll never notice.

Back