• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-treads MT in snow?

aduke

NAXJA Forum User
well since im on a very tight highschool budget and i need two new tires very badly in looking into http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html. i want to get the 31". how well would a tire like this preform in new england winters? i took my jeep out in the snow today. my tires are so bald that i could barey get up some hils in 4wheel drive! i think my parents VW does better in the snow than my jeep right now!

so who uses a MT tire in the snow and how do they hook up? im not getting that green diamond stuff b/c you need to buy four tires for that. and i dont want that for the summer.

I have the same retreads, but here in NC we don't get any snow, so I have no idea. I know they hook up great in the mud and on rocks, but I'd bet if you got the tires Siped at a tire shop they'd be just fine in the snow.

Have your tires siped. HUGE difference in the snow... Unless New England snow is different than Colorado snow.

I haven't heard anything bad about these tires such as seperating tread or anything that is typically accosiated (SP?) with retreads. Infact I'm about due for a new set of tires and those are what is going on my heep.

FWIW, Ive had a LOT better luck with ATs than MTs in the snow on street driving. One year I even ran the Xtrac line of cheapo LT truck/car tires from WalMart, that did WONDERFUL in the snow and ice!

HTH,
Andrew

I have the hi tec retreads in the 33" variaty. I have used them repeatedly in the snow and I am happy with them. Mine are siped and I would highly recommend this for the street use.

AT's I think are a better solution in the snow on the street, but if you want a MT for off road performance then get them siped.

Michael

Back