• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12 bolt rear end?

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to get a 12 bolt rear end out of a chevy pick up for free. I was thinking of putting it in my new project xj. Searched and didn't find much. Sounds like most people use a 14 bolt, d60 combo. Is the 12 bolt going to work? How hard well it be to put in? Pros? Cons? The only reason I ask it's cause it's free. I'm looking at cost, dependability, and strength. The xj has nothing done to it yet, I want to figure out what I'm going to do before tearing into it. I'm planning on putting a 4.7 stroker in it, I'm also looking at the the best tranny and t-case options. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Imho.... garbage. 35" tires max. The axles are retained by c clips and the pinion bearings are pretty small and weak. I'd personally say a Ford 8.8, or a 9" is a better choice. If you wanna go fullsize though, a 14 bolt is the ultimate in beef and easy to come by. The only drawback is that it is HUGE and the pumpkin hangs way down and grabs rocks even if its shaved.

12 bolts hols up to camero's with 500+ horsepower - that is what the F-body guys swap out their 10 bolt for...

free is free - take it - especialy if it just came off a running vehicle - then brakes and bearings are porbably decent and there is less money involved in getting it set up in your rig.

AZ XJ said:
The axles are retained by c clips and the pinion bearings are pretty small and weak. I'd personally say a Ford 8.8, or a 9" is a better choice.

really? C-clips? what holds the 8.8 together?

i have never been impressed by the 8.8 pinion bearing size either...

come on...

XJ_ranger said:
really? C-clips? what holds the 8.8 together?

i have never been impressed by the 8.8 pinion bearing size either...

come on...

8.8 would be an easier swap, and hold up just as well. Same bolt pattern as the stocker, has the option of having rear discs, and would have an axle that actually fits under his truck....

Back