• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wanting to run 33s on a rustys 3" lift? and how high does the rear sit?

2000Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i did a search for rustys stuff and i didnt come up with anything..

i am wanting to run 33's on the rustys 3" full pack lift. im just wondering it it can be done. trimming isnt a problem to me.. id rather trim and lose sheet metal than have a bigger lift and raise my COG..

also anyone who has pics of a 3" lift and 33s if you could please post up pics i would really apreciate it..

also i know the big things with lfts is when you buy any lift you get more lift than advertised.. so im just wondering how much lift you got in the rear compared to the front..

Thanks for any help

Mike D

Jeffro600 said:
Youll probably see close to 4 inches with the rustys kit....however, your still going to have to cut like mad and bumpstop it.
What Jeff said except I will add you may also want to get a BB kit later on down the road to put you around the 5" mark after the springs settle. Though you will still have to cut. The wheel well openings just aren't there for 33s unless all you do is drive it on the street and even then it's questionable.

I would say u are definetly going to need to do some trimming.... On my 97 xj I've got 4.25 inches of lift with 33's. I had to put on bushwacker cut out fender flares. If your going to cut and you want it to look nice and finished i would definetly suggest the Bushwacker flares... My 90 XJ i dont care what it lookes like cause soon it will have 7.5 inches of lift and 37's... Im gunna have to do some trimming but i dont care cause its painted army olive drab and it doesnt need to look nice...

I have the 3" lift and I got 5 inches in the back and exactly 3 in the front. I put a 1.75 coil spacer in front and all was good. with 31's it stuffs the tires great. 33's will need some trimming. About 25,000 miles later, the rear has sagged to 4". I'll be putting a raised shackle in the back soon to level it all out again. Overall I'm very happy with the Rusty's lift and especially the price.

My Rustys 4.5" sat at almost 8" when I first put it on, and has settled to about 5.5" and I dont think it will settle anymore. I ended up taking the bottom spring out of the leaf pack to make it sit level and GREATLY improve the ride.

My Rusty 3" packs are down to about 4". Though it is hard for me to judge since I'm running shackles and never got a good measure before I did all this 3 years ago.

2000Cherokee said:
or instead of buying the 3" kit would i be better off peicing together a 4.5" kit?

I love mine. Not too high not too low. Dosen't feel tippy, and imo looks pretty good. If you do go that high just be prepared to do an sye and drive shaft if you want it done right.

My 3" full spring pack was really high when I got it. I put in .75" spacers up front to help get rid of that hotrod look. It has since gotten better. This is with 31's. I think I could put on 33's if I wanted but I would have to work on the bumpstops. I have trimmed a good bit off the front but left the back flare-less. I love it. It's WAY more than what I need. I just store a bunch of fishing gear inside and use it for that and camping. Haven't ever taken it anywhere crazy...yet.

hsq7he.jpg

if you read my post you can see i have a saggy 3inch with only 1.5 shackels giving me any sort of lift in the rear. im running 33s... if you go to that photo album you can see flex pics.. i dont know how much more flex you could get out of a 3inch lift.. so save it.

keith

Silverstreak01 said:
if you read my post you can see i have a saggy 3inch with only 1.5 shackels giving me any sort of lift in the rear. im running 33s... if you go to that photo album you can see flex pics.. i dont know how much more flex you could get out of a 3inch lift.. so save it.

keith

The pics you show HARDLY look like sagging springs...not to mention, youve trimmed ALOT of fender and looks like your only running 33x10.5. Your page says your running 3" skyjacker leafs, with 2" blocks and 1.5" shackles...thats ALOT more lift than a plain ol 3" rustys lift is going to give. Your cardomain site looks like you were running 31's and on a couple pics, it looks like you were very close to scraping....how are you not with 33s?? :dunno:

And this is the only flexed one i found with the 33's...its not flexed very hard in the front at all and its close.

7c23re2.jpg

Last edited:
dude i dont have that lift on yet, i decided on not using the blocks so im just waiting for the full pack as well as some other things before i put it all together. it was going on but i changed my mind because the leafs are so bad.

i only have Sagging 3INCH SPRINGS. absolutly flat - just about inverted rear leafs with 1.5 shackels THATS IT. yes there 10.5 they fit better and i run no flares/.. he said he doesnt mind trimming... how the hell more flexed do you want. :wierd:

they are close but they dont hit the fenders. they hit the inside of the fender well in the back only because i only have about 1.5 lift. deal with it. what about the pics with the back on the loading dock.

New here, but I can personally relate to this thread.

I've got Rusty's 3" coils up front with 1.5" spacers, and the Rusty's 3" full leaf pack out back with stock shackle. Sits perfectly level. I'm also running 33x12.5 Trxus MTs, 4" backspacing, no bumpstops.

Does it rub? Yep. Inside fenderwell in the front, inside wheelwell in the back. I'm also locked f/r so this doesn't really bother me, as it doesn't cut up the tires at all and I'm never stuck because of it. I've also had the springs on there for over 2 years and the rear has maybe sagged a half inch or so the entire time...and that's 2 years of pretty regular crawlin and stuff.

A few flex pics.

nf2.jpg

nf6.jpg

IMO, if you need more flex than that, you probably don't have lockers.

As far as trimming...in the front, draw a line along the edge of the stock fender flares and cut that out. In the rear, I cut and folded over the pinch seam. More than enough room to fit the tires past the sheetmetal. I've been extremely happy with this setup, I drive it daily 70-100 miles per day and regularly wheel out at Rausch in PA (mostly blacks), and I couldn't ask for more out of the lift & tire combo.

dude shut your mouth hows that sound. if you see the pic with my rear tire up on the loading dock it is lower then his........ HE HAS MORE LIFT THEN ME (ALMOST 2.5 inches up front probably and atleast that out back..... . mine is MAXED Out of the amount of lift i have......... he has a full new 3 inch pack plust a shackle i have an inverted pack plus a shackle.

you have no business shooting off about someones rig. . I ANSWERED the guys question in the thread. now your just shooting off. get over yourself

Last edited:
Back