• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the xtra inch worth 400 dollars?

Mercenary

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks.

I am considering installing a Rubicon Express lift kit on my XJ. I have been planning on using the 4.5 inch super-flex but I am wondering if the 5.5 inch kit is worth the extra 400 or so dollars in price. My XJ isn't a rock rig. I'd be running mainly on muddy trails and roads.

$400 can go a long way...sliders, skids, locker, etc.

What else would YOU spend it on if not on the lift?

The RE 4.5 kit is about the limit at what your going to want to be running non Long Control Arms at and still expect decent ride quality. Your going to get closer to 5.5-6.5 inches with the 4.5 kit, so unless your going to be running 35s or bigger, stick with the 4.5.

Going 4.5 to 5.5 with theirs nets the GOOD trackbar/bracket and control arm drop brackets. There are more differences in the kit than 'one inch'.

I would stay at the 4.5" mark. like others said, you start getting too high and it's a bad thing. I would rather have the droop. I'm sitting at 5.25" and that is way up there. Of course, I ran a 3.5 kit with a BB.

I'd stick with the 4.5 inch lift... I drive a 97 xj everyday with 4.25 inches of lift and I think it still handles and drives very nice.... I did put the Rubicon Express Control Arm Dropbrackets on and that really helped...If you wanna spend the money those are always a nice investment...at least in my book they are..... ; )

ECKSJAY said:
Going 4.5 to 5.5 with theirs nets the GOOD trackbar/bracket and control arm drop brackets. There are more differences in the kit than 'one inch'.
definetly something to consider. those two things alone cost more than 400$

Ahhh, Comedians. Ya gotta love it :p

I think the 4.5 will be the best option right now. I don't want to change the ol XJ into a hard core trail rig as she is my DD for the forseeable future.

ECKSJAY said:

I'm with Phil here, I'd spring for the 5.5. By getting it you'll be saving a decent amount of money on parts that you're going to want to get anyways...........:lecture:

I don't know a man on earth that wouldn't pay $400 for an extra inch.

i dont need it

i wish :(

91 Jeep Project said:
I'm with Phil here, I'd spring for the 5.5. By getting it you'll be saving a decent amount of money on parts that you're going to want to get anyways...........:lecture:
Go with the upgraded parts available in the 5.5" - with the RE6130 the ride was pretty rough due to the control arm angles until I added the Drop Brackets that are available in the 5.5" kit anyway.

Jim

I didn't read the whole thread but I'll tell ya this. I figured I'd save the money too and get the 4.5" kit, within a week I through a spacer up front to level it out, this made the CA's be at a horrible angle so I ended up springing for the drop brackets/braces. Wish I would have gone with the 5.5" kit to start as would have been the same money and I would have the HD trackbar also.

One thing that really screws up your ride quality is the steep angle of the short, stock control arms that occurs when you install a lift. To solve that problem, you either install a long arm kit (then deal with the problems THAT creates) or install the control arm drop brackets. I'd install the 5.5kit with the drop brackets--have your cake and it too.

xjbubba said:
One thing that really screws up your ride quality is the steep angle of the short, stock control arms that occurs when you install a lift. To solve that problem, you either install a long arm kit (then deal with the problems THAT creates) or install the control arm drop brackets. I'd install the 5.5kit with the drop brackets--have your cake and it too.

what kind of problems does a long arm kit create??

Back