• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strong Coolant smell in Cabin?

pipes94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Western PA (snow and 30 all day) and after along day of football, dislocated my shoulder, I hoped in my 94 sport and headed home. About 20mins down the road, I got this horrible smell of antifreeze/coolant in the cabin. Temp gauge never moved but I pulled over anyway. Popped the hood and found no leaks of any kind. I had the defroster on but wasnt blasting it. Hoped back in and drove home another 7 miles and it went away. Just wondering what the heck that could have been? Any ideas? Better safe than sorry.
Thanks guys and Happy Holidays.
(Don't worry, I searched 5 times before posting)

PS. 119,000 miles on the 4.0

Mine gets an smell once in a while but it's from under the hood. I have an intermittent tiny leak somewhere. Well, at least I did...I think I fixed it by re-seating the upper hose on the radiator and moving the clamp towards the end of the bung.

If it's inside, you're looking at a new heater core. And if that's the case, it sucks to be you, b/c you have tear the dash out to get to it.

There is a small tube in which the water from the condenser drains out to the road. This tube if missing will cause the water to blow against the firewall and cause a wet floorboard and the smell of mold etc. That and a spent heater core. In case it helps.

Back