• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cv driveshaft options

jeepxj89

NAXJA Forum User
what are you guys using for rear cv driveshafts after installing an sye, other than the ones bought from driveline shops . anyone using bronco or explorer shafts? xj front shafts? how do they work and would you recommend a shortened/lengethend shaft from another vehicle over a new shaft all together? the jeep it will be going into is a 91 4L with an ax-15 and an np231 with and 87 xj dana 44 rear on 6.5 - 7 inches of lift. any responses appreciated!

jeepxj89 said:
what are you guys using for rear cv driveshafts after installing an sye, other than the ones bought from driveline shops . anyone using bronco or explorer shafts? xj front shafts? how do they work and would you recommend a shortened/lengethend shaft from another vehicle over a new shaft all together? the jeep it will be going into is a 91 4L with an ax-15 and an np231 with and 87 xj dana 44 rear on 6.5 - 7 inches of lift. any responses appreciated!

At that much lift, you should probably buy something new with new parts. An XJ front shaft will be too short, and the chances of finding something the right length will be pretty slim. If the cost of a new CV driveshaft looks to be a problem, you don't want to be lifting to 6.5-7".. you're going to have to address steering as well, and that tends to be alot more money.

steering is already dealt with, i know the xj front shaft will be to short, thats why i asked if you think it would be alright if it was lengthened. i know ranger shafts are longer then xj shafts, so i was thinking of maybe using one of those. money is not a problem, im just saying why spend more the youd have to on somthing when you could find a cheaper alternative

I used and xj front shaft and it is holding up wonderfully. You'd have to add quite a bit onto one with your lift height and your shorter 5 speed. If it were me I'd prob look into a Tom Woods shaft or another custom shaft at that height.

Back