• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN numbers

carmike692000

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a website somewhere that tells you what the letters and numbers in your VIN stand for? I should be able to tell color, engine, transmission, rear-end gearing, etc. from the VIN, right? How do I decipher the VIN?

Thanks!
carmike

Thanks for those links! I think the latter one matches up nicely. So, you can't tell what the ratio is in your differential from the VIN? Will it say on the differential cover what the gearing is?

Thanks!
carmike

I just went out and took a look at my diff cases. The front diff says 30-74P (or F...can't tell), and there is no writing on the rear diff.

What does that mean?

Thanks!
carmike

i think there is a tag on the difff on one of the bolts that holds the cover on. also u can email chrysler jeep to get the build sheet

The front is a Dana 30 (no other factory options). For the rear, both the Dana 35 and Corporate (Chrysler) 8.25 will have ten-bolt, oval covers. The difference is that the C-8.25 will have a flat-lipped bottom.

Well, I've confirmed that I have the Chrysler 8.25. And, funny enough, you're where my Cherokee was assembled: Toledo. :)

Tomorrow when it's light out I'll look for some kind of designation on the rear diff again.

There may also still be a printed piece of paper attached to the passenger-side of the rear axle tube (on the top, I think).

Ok, I checked out my rear diff this morning. There is a little metal tag attached to one of the bolts that says '3.5'. This is molded into the bottom of the housing: MS3670A. (I believe that's what it said.)

So, what all does that mean?

Thanks!
Michael

Well phooey. I was at least hoping I'd have a 3.73:1 rear end. :( Oh well.

I'm not sure pictures are necessary as I'm pretty sure I have the Chrysler 8.25, but if you find some that'd be real nice!

I appreciate the effort!

giving specific info about your rig makes these questions soooo much easier to answer correctly. stuff like year, engine, transmission, etc help alot.

Back