• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242J to np242amg swap

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

im tryin to do this swap and i am lookin for help.

i have a 1990 XJ with a 242 that is busted, and while looking for a replacement 242, i came across this one from a late model hummer H1 on ebay for $100. this hummer t case has:

21 spline input
32 spline output with slip yoke
4x4 full time
4x4 lock
4x4 lo range. 2.72 reduction (same as jeep)
liquid cooled

does a 1990 np242 have 21 spline input (im pretty sure it does)...if they are both 21, is this a direct bolt on?

this is a comparison between the two. as you can see, the hummer 242 parts are about 30% bigger and hopefully stronger.

<http://www.flashoffroad.com/features/Tcase/Amg-Jeep/index.htm>

-tim

Nice score. There is a link somewhere, don't have time to look for it but search on here, its of a guy that combined the two to gain teh heavy duty parts, yet he kept the 2wd option. I've been looking for a late,late model H1 case with the 23 spline input to do something very similar. I am very jealious. Good luck.

From what I can find, it looks like the spline count went from 21 to 23 in '92 models. I can't promise that's right, but I found that year mentioned in a few different sources.

Back