• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CE light after some work

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
Well Sunday I changed my tranny fluid and filter. While I was doing this, I had to unbolt the dipstick and did some climbing around on top of the motor.

Well on my way to work today I stopped at the store, and when i came back out and the CE light was on (tuesday). The Jeep is running fine, nothing weird. Do you think this could be due to the tranny flush? I'm hoping I didint kick anything while I was under the hood. Im at work at the moment, but the battery is unhooked, I'm hoping that makes it go away. A guy I work with has a 00' and says its on a timer to get you in for regular service, is that true?

What would you guys check next if that dosent work, O2 sensors? This is a 97' with 176K if that helps any.

I just rehooked the battery, and went for a quick lap around the parking lot and the light is out now. I'll update this after the drive home.

Is yours a '00 too?- how many miles. the earlier XJs had a light that came on when it was time to replace the o2 sensor.'
If it's '97 or older, try the key on/off/on/off/on trick, do you have any codes?

Mines a 97', and I think the O2 sensor will be the next thing i replace. Does that $90ish code checker from PepBoys really work, will that tell me what my problem is?

Also, I need to take a pic of it, but right below the flange off the exhaust manifold, there's a dent. It's been there for a while, I have no idea how it got there, but I think I should have it fixed. I'll post a pic ASAP, cuz its a crazy place to have a dent in the exhaust pipe.

The dent is factory. It's for driveshaft clearance. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
The dent is factory. It's for driveshaft clearance. JIM.
Thats really supposed to be there? It seems kinda high up, but then again, how the hell can you dent something that high.

Do people usually fix this, or do people just leave it? This is the first I've heard about it being there from the factory.

zfinger said:
Thats really supposed to be there? It seems kinda high up, but then again, how the hell can you dent something that high.

Do people usually fix this, or do people just leave it? This is the first I've heard about it being there from the factory.
I have a '97 too. as far as the key trick, it works on mine, but I've heard of others (97+) having to use a scanner.- I know the autozone here will scan it for you for free, don't know about pepboys.

The dent in the exhaust is there on mine too- It looks ridiculously large, but I was told that was normal and was necessary for backpressure and clearance with the driveshaft.

Back