• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock/Gear the 8.25, or, Get a D44 and do the same......?

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
What would be a better idea in the grand scheme of things, PRICE CONSIDERED.

I have a chrysler 8.25 29 spline sittin under my jeep now, and im runnin the 33x10.5s, my gas mileage has pretty much fallen off the scales so i wanna gear to 4.56s. So. Locker options are very limited for the 8.25, im not worried about the strength of the axle cuz i dont go crazy on the skinny pedal.

Would it be better to wait and try and find anywhere where theres a cherokee d44 and gear/lock that with more locker options? Or, just gear what i got and suck it up and get a detroit/ARB/wait for aussie to make one for it?

a'thankyou

Well... depends on you :) I did the latter: I had an 8.25 with 4.11's and powertrax (I regeared it once already) and 31's. Than I decided to go to 33's and deeper gears and I got a 44 and I geared it to 4.88's and put a detroit in it. I could have regeared the 8.25 to 4.56's but I didn't see it being deep enough and I got a decent deal on a 44. Overall I'm happy cause I ended up getting bigger drums with the d44, and I don't have to worry about cclip axles on the trail anymore.

don't do either. get an 8.8. much stronger than both - and disc brakes!!

my $0.02

Back