• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will chromo 30 shafts out of a tj fit an xj?

wvredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to buy a set of 4340 27 spline chromo's out of a tj for my 99 xj, are both 30's the same or not, will they work?

wvredxj said:
I am getting ready to buy a set of 4340 27 spline chromo's out of a tj for my 99 xj, are both 30's the same or not, will they work?
yup, unless the tj had a nonstandard carrier (super 30 or something like that).

wvredxj said:
alright thanks alot man, i guess i will go out there and pull my shafts then

your leaving yourself wide open there....

(punch pulled)

they should work.... they fit a 97-01 cherokee....and wrangler from 97-up.

why not an older xj?

Ramsey said:
why not an older xj?
AFAIK the shafts are the same for all XJ's. One of my sets was from an ABS equipped 89. Anyways, XJ and TJ and YJ use same D30 when it comes to the splines on the carrier. Also AFAIK The unibearing splines are the same on all 3.

Kejtar said:
AFAIK the shafts are the same for all XJ's. One of my sets was from an ABS equipped 89. Anyways, XJ and TJ and YJ use same D30 when it comes to the splines on the carrier. Also AFAIK The unibearing splines are the same on all 3.

Add ZJ to the bunch.

yeah i thought so. my spares for my 99 came from a 92 w/abs, thought maybe there was a reason it cant go the other way, but i guess not.

Remi is Correct. They are all the same length. execption is with a disco passenger side axle. but you can delete the vac disco and run a one piece that is the same length as the rest. ZJ's with CV shafts also are the same length so you can nix the CV shafts in favor of traditionals. You can even swap the ABS tone ring from the CV shaft to the traditionals.
Also there is the U-joint size. all pre 95 non ABS D30's have 260 joints.
ABS has 297/760 joints. 95-96 YJ's have a 297/760 shafts AND vacum discos.
most all 97newers have 297/760 joints.

themud said:
Uh this is not true on the pre 95s having 260 my 95 also had 260s in it so youll have to double check no way around it...
themud

It was probably a very early production 95, or they had run out of 297 shafts and still ahd 260 shafts in the store room. Things like that happen in factories all the time.

or they had run out of 297 shafts and still ahd 260 shafts in the store room.
The average consumer wouldn't ever notice the diffrence anyway.

ok, looking at my shafts and the shafts i want to pick up i see one difference, on the outer shaft of my there is a ring that goes around right after the ears that attach the u joint, on the tj shafts this ring is not existent, what does this ring do? i will post pics in a little while

outerear.jpg

^the ones out of the tj^

P1010236.jpg

^the ones out of my xj^

I think that those "rings" that are on your xj shafts are dust covers of some type and from the looks of the ones from the tj, it used to have some. If you wanted to use them I believe they come off and can be used on the tj shafts. Correct me if I am wrong somebody.

Back