• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont Start

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
1996 4.0 AW4

Hey, I have a problem. My Jeep wont start

I moved it this morning 10 feet to load it up, but now it wont start.

1. I turn the key and all I hear it the buzzers (no noticable starter sound, but those buggers are loud) Same sound as when the kill switch is on.

2. the battery *should* be fine. I replaced it a little more than a month ago.
I did get a jump, but no change, not even a crank.

3. I replaced the starter not that long ago, still under warranty.

What do you all think??

Well for the heck of it I ripped the starter off and it rattled, I exchanged it and installed the new one and still nothing.

Is there a fusable link or something??

If I hook up someone elses battery to my starter directly, should it start then??

thanks again

noresttill said:
Well for the heck of it I ripped the starter off and it rattled, I exchanged it and installed the new one and still nothing.

Is there a fusable link or something??

If I hook up someone elses battery to my starter directly, should it start then??

thanks again
Have you checked your NSS?

to fing out if its in the ignition, try taking a screw driver and touching the two seloind post, if it turn over, then your problem is it the ignition.

well. im not saying this is your problem, but i had somehting like this happen to me on my chevy camaro. I would turn the key and nothng would happen. the lights would dim b/c the battery would be good. Then a wire was smoking alittle bit. The ignition wire was messed up i think. What i had to do was run a push button start. 10 gauage wire runnning from the hot on the seloind, and 10 guage wire from the the othe rone on the seloind, and ran those wire into the and unde rthe dash. Now i have to put the key in the ignition, turn it like im going to start the car, but hit the push button, and it starts.

dont no if that helps

dennis

Great, cause im all outa idears...unless its the kill switch

langer1 said:
Have you checked your NSS?

I search for NSS and my truck doesn't start in neutral, could it still be the NSS?

Jeep88lar said:
to fing out if its in the ignition, try taking a screw driver and touching the two seloind post, if it turn over, then your problem is it the ignition.

well. im not saying this is your problem, but i had somehting like this happen to me on my chevy camaro. I would turn the key and nothng would happen. the lights would dim b/c the battery would be good. Then a wire was smoking alittle bit. The ignition wire was messed up i think. What i had to do was run a push button start. 10 gauage wire runnning from the hot on the seloind, and 10 guage wire from the the othe rone on the seloind, and ran those wire into the and unde rthe dash. Now i have to put the key in the ignition, turn it like im going to start the car, but hit the push button, and it starts.

dont no if that helps

dennis

My starter has 3 bolts on the the selonoid. 2 bigs and a small. the 2 wires that connect to the starter are 1 small black and one large red.

I assumed that the large post i connected to the large red wire is pos+.
The small black I thought was a ground, but now I think Im wrong.

So, to do this properly which 2 bolts are bridged

Now, I was still searching NSS, and found that one of the symptoms is no reverse lights. I aint got no reverse lights. So NSS it is. Right??

Thanks, you guys saved my life, we have a final review tomorrow

If your 96 is like my 96 (mines an export) the solenoid wire goes through a connector, near the front of the fuse/relay box. You can jump from the connector straight to the positive pole of the battery.
Anytime you jump the solenoid, you stand the chance of scorching something (like the threads on the solenoid or the connector).

Update:

Thanks guys, I cleaned the NSS via Jeepin.com instruction and now it work great. 1 hour's worth of work, highly recomended to all.

again thanks

Jesse

Back