• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much wattage will the stock fog light wiring handle??

xstoyz

NAXJA Forum User
Like the topic says, how much can i realistically put through that harness. I have 2 150 watt spotlights that i would like to put on the bumper and the wiring thats there is perfect if it will handle the load.

Thanks

Ed

'88 Limited 4.0

Not true, on my 1990 Mj I have two 100W driving lights on the stock stuff. They run with no problems at long periods wheeling.

Two 55w lights are 9.1amps at 12V

Two 100W lights are 16.6 amps

Two 150w lights are 25 amps.

I think youd be pushing it at 25 amps, the relay can handle 30 amps. I think its fused for 20 amps.

I really wouldn't go any higher than 55 watts on the stock harness eather. It'll probibly hold 100, but I don't think I would want them on it. I don't know about the older xj's but the newer ones have quite a long harness that sometimes has trouble with the stock 55 watters. Oh, and remember the fog harness will only provide power with the low beams, and in most states it's ileagle to run anything but fog lights on with your low beams. Anything else has to be wired to only work with your high beams for on road use.

The only big current is going through the relay, which is right at the front of the heep. If you're worried about it get a bigger relay and some beefier wiring and rewire the lights from the relay. The switch and switch wiring will be ok as it doesn't carry much current.

I use the fatory lights but the 100 bulbs and i also cut out the little black pieces in the light assembly(They are a dimmer for the lights I think)

Fog lights are made to throw a flat wide beam, not a spot, not a flood, flat and wide. Removing the piece from the inside to open the bulb up turns them into driving lights and not fogs. If you want driving lights put them on the bumper, up near level of the headlights.

RichP said:
Removing the piece from the inside to open the bulb up turns them into driving lights and not fogs.

The lens is still set up to help spread the pattern, so removing that piece makes them annoyingly-spread pieces of crap.

My jeep is set up for off road use only. The lights are only use for night Wheeling:) with the peace removed alows better lighting of the fun stuff and they are aimed to light only about 15 ft in frount of the jeep

The headlight and fog light wiring is undersized for the stock bulbs. Rewiring the lights with relays and 10 gauge wires will perform wonders especially if you upgrade to higher wattage bulbs.I was very disappointed with the Silver Stars bulbs until I did this upgrade.

See Go Jeep's site for more information.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Back