• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which fuel pump?????!

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so i have been to checker and autozone looking for the right fuel pump for this cherokee. its an 89' 4.0. THe got me one pump thats way bigger and has some cheesy looking rubber shims i think that are supposed to make it fit. (i tried and theres no way) THey also had a Bosh one thats smaller than the one i pulled out. ANyone know which one i need or had this problem?

i work at the Checker corp. office.
the Master part # E7091S is the complete assembly, or the E7006 is the pump only. I recommend getting the complete assembly in order to avoid installation problems

Ok, so i ran back by autozone and they looked around in the computer and we found out that the pump was the 4 cylinder pump. Im not sure if someone just swapped in a 4.0 at some point or what? but i got the same pump that was in it and im just hoping it will put out plenty of volume for the 4.0. what do you think?

1st of all, you should have went back to Checker
2nd, the listing for the 89 with 4 cyl only has 30-46 psi, and the psi on the 4.0 is 90-110 so it won't work

Daveisdabomb said:
i work at the Checker corp. office.
the Master part # E7091S is the complete assembly, or the E7006 is the pump only. I recommend getting the complete assembly in order to avoid installation problems

new to all this and in the process of trouble shooting the fuel pump.. what is Checker? and you say the complete assembly - is this everything that slides into the tank?

'87 XJ 4.0L

OK well, heres the update. I put the pump in and it runs at the fuel rail at like 30 psi. It starts up and runs fine but your thinking i need to bring it back and get the complete assembly for the 4.0 and put it in the tank? will it fit properly in the tank when it has a 4cyl pump setup in it? same size hole?

sorry, but I'd like to keep my job here a little longer. Employee discount only applies to their immediate family. You'll have a lot less hassle though with the complete assembly. You don't want to have to do the job more than once. Let me know if you have any further questions, I have catalog info. and vendor contacts if need be.

While the standard replacement pump will work, keep your warranty. Aftermarket pumps have a bad history of crapping out within a year. Not trying to knock Checker, but almost all the aftermarket pumps have this problem. The only one I have found that seems to hold up is the Holley pump. Don't know who makes it for them, but my experience is 4 for 4.

so, is the consensus that the 4cyl pump will not work in the 4.0 properly?? because as of now it runs smooth and drives ok but that dosent mean i wont have fuel mileage or performance problems???

I just replaced the fuel pump in my 89 4.0 with a "Master" fuel pump from Advance Auto parts today. It was built a bit differently with the rubber shims, and I had to modify one of the endcaps a bit to make it fit. But it works just fine and my XJ now starts and runs properly!

thanks for the input guys. i posted a new question about the pump and am still taking any feedback there. i dont want to hog 2 posts at the top of the page so lets let this one float down. Thanks

Back