• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan motor resistor pack

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody got any part numbers, mine went sometime this past weekend on my 98XJ, have not opened it up yet to look but would like to walk in to RS with a part number or better description. If someone has an online link to the part that would be good too because I'm not sure of what I'm looking for.

bringing back this old thread to prove that i searched, and found something useful (the part #)

anyways, my heater has conveniently decided to stop working.....in december /facepalm

i'd like to start diagnosing it, but i have absolutely no idea where the resistor pack would be, or how to test it to see if i need a new one

current issues with my heater that i know of...

blower motor squawks like a rooster that just got kicked in the nuts
fan speed knob seems to have cracked and broken, thus leaving it stuck in high
possible small heater core leak (i smell coolant sometimes when the heater is on)

i'd like to be able to test the resistor while i go through all of the heater wiring to check for melting/corrosion and all that, could anyone help me out?

thanks, Tim

Last edited:
If blower motor is squealing, I'd say it's going south. Typical symptom of blower motor resister pack issue is that the fan will ONLY work on high. Don't know about newer XJ's, but on my '89, the resister pack was under passenger side dash...down in the footwell.

Note from DJ
x2
If blower motor is squealing, I'd say it's going south. Typical symptom of blower motor resister pack issue is that the fan will ONLY work on high. Don't know about newer XJ's, but on my '89, the resister pack was under passenger side dash...down in the footwell.

This is a couple of posting on resistor pack
I have got a blower motor that only works on high.
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15232&sid=ff7215be6b36a0c71075b59d07cf0821

Yup it’s the resistor, had it happen on both my jeeps you will need to remove a plastic cover (I threw it away) to get to it on pre 97 models not sure on 97+.
Pictures are included
---------------
$2.00 Blower Motor Resistor Fix
Repair info with larger pics
Article written by Dr. Jones
In MOAB JEEPER MAGAZINE
http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/t...?articleID=515
Post back on progress or if more info is needed.
Noisy Blower motor indicates it will need replacing before it burns up the resistor pack if it hasn’t done so by now.

Last edited:
Thats where it is. Passenger footwell---> look for a some wires plugging into the air box right over your feet.
Dang beat me to it, Great link by the way. Awesomely simple fix! I was going to suggest the JY....

Last edited:
thanks for all the info guys, i'll be staying late after work tomorrow so i can do this in a shop where it's warm

how would i test the resistor to see if it's bad?

i can't just tell by the fan being stuck on high because my fan speed switch is physically broken, in the high position, so is there some sort of a continuity test type thing i can do to test this?

heater is blowing no air at all, at the moment, though hot air does come out....at whatever speed heat rises at, i'll be checking wires near the HVAC panel for melting/corrosion, ect. as well

Back