• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat re-padding write up

Thanx that will come in handy, I'm gonna have to re do the drivers seat soon.

xray said:
I clicked on the interior page and I didnt see anything about repadding seats. Did I miss something?

Sorry, should have made that clearer that it was in the interior part of the how to section.

It occurred to me that GoJeep could be gone for awhile since he hasn't posted here in a week, so ill post my PM here to see if anyone else has some suggestions (i need to re-pad before Friday driving the XJ 4000+ miles)

Hello GoJeep..

I'm a big fan of your site and have done some of your mods thanks to your write-ups.
I need to re-pad my seats, and i have a question about your write-up.
In your write up, you show yourself cutting a portion of the "side" foam off. Is this just getting rid of where it squished out?

The other question i have is about the pic below:

Seat%20006.jpg

In the paragraph below this picture, you say that the foam you got is only 8mm's thick. That equals about 1/3 of an inch (if the math is right). That seems a little thin to me. Did you just lay this new foam on top of the old, or did you cut it out? From reading it a few times, it seems you cut it out to be level with the other areas of the original foam, also leaving the original foam below it. Does that sound correct? Did you also add some to the side where you cut or did you also leave that alone?

Thanks very much for your time, and i apologize if the answers are obvious and i just didn't catch them!

-Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib said:
It occurred to me that GoJeep could be gone for awhile since he hasn't posted here in a week, so ill post my PM here to see if anyone else has some suggestions (i need to re-pad before Friday driving the XJ 4000+ miles)

Hello GoJeep..

I'm a big fan of your site and have done some of your mods thanks to your write-ups.
I need to re-pad my seats, and i have a question about your write-up.
In your write up, you show yourself cutting a portion of the "side" foam off. Is this just getting rid of where it squished out?

The other question i have is about the pic below:

Seat%20006.jpg

In the paragraph below this picture, you say that the foam you got is only 8mm's thick. That equals about 1/3 of an inch (if the math is right). That seems a little thin to me. Did you just lay this new foam on top of the old, or did you cut it out? From reading it a few times, it seems you cut it out to be level with the other areas of the original foam, also leaving the original foam below it. Does that sound correct? Did you also add some to the side where you cut or did you also leave that alone?

Thanks very much for your time, and i apologize if the answers are obvious and i just didn't catch them!

-Muad'Dib

Yes mate you most things right there. 8 mm is 5/16" and was high density sleeping mat foam that you use to sleep on when camping.
I did only cut off what was squashed outwards and under the area where the high density foam was added to get it to be the same level as before.
None was added to the sides. I did once add some to the front for more under thigh support as have rather long legs.

Gojeep said:
Yes mate you most things right there. 8 mm is 5/16" and was high density sleeping mat foam that you use to sleep on when camping.
I did only cut off what was squashed outwards and under the area where the high density foam was added to get it to be the same level as before.
None was added to the sides. I did once add some to the front for more under thigh support as have rather long legs.

Thanks for your reply. I got my passenger seat apart last night... what a PITA! Its alot different then yours.. I should be able to do a write-up when im finished.

I thought of one more thing...

My seats are different then what you had GoJeep, but picture a one peice bottom that is all foam and the foam is in this small curved bucket. (Sounds funky im trying my best to explain without a pic at the moment) Inside this bucket (from what i can tell) are metal wires supporting the foam. You cant actually get to these wires without cutting into the foam.

When i was cutting and adding padding last night, it still looks as if the side that was near the door sits lower then the other side. I was thinking of adding an additional layer of foam to this side to make it even with the other side... but then that layer that i would add would stick up past the rest of the original foam. Would you do something like this? Or would it make the seat even more uncomfortable / uneven?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Well as an update i got it all finished last night. Unfortunately, i just didn't have the time to get pictures etc to make a proper write up.

I have a 90 XJ. My seats look similar to GoJeeps, but the base is a separate "unit" then the back. Ill be willing to answer any questions about what i did anytime, so feel free to ask if something is unclear.

The hardest part i found was figuring out how everything came off. On mine there are adjustable head rests, and a arm on the side to adjust the "reclining" position. So that made it harder to get the back cover off. The seat portion was fairly straightforward. Just unbolt 4 (13mm) bolts from the metal base, and then un clip the elastic from the rear. Then on the bottom of the removed seat there are several "coat hanger" type wires that slide in and out of the seat cover. There are several phillip's head screws at the bottom, just unscrew those and the cover comes off.
I pulled the metal coat hanger thingies out to throw the covers in the wash... I tell you what, i thought i needed new covers cause these had who knows what spilled on them. After the wash, they looked brand new! One faint dark spot here or there, but overall very very clean.
The thinnest foam Joann's had was 1" so i used that. I also picked up an electric carving knife (approx $10) since i didn't have one, and I'm glad i got it! I did basically what GoJeep did, i cut the sides down with the knife to the depth of the knifes blade. Most of the inside area (towards the center of the foam) was cracked, so i only really had to make the two side lines. Then all i did was peel the old foam off with my hands. I was "fairly" careful not to peel too much off below .. to keep it even. Seemed to work ok.
While i was at Joann's, i also picked up some "loctite" high performance spray adhesive. It said it was safe for foam... so i got it. It worked great. I didn't wear gloves, but you may want too as when your done your hands are very very sticky.
I cut the foam to the size of the cutout that i made on each side of the cushion, then applied the spray to both the seat and the new foam and pushed it into place. A special note for these seats. It seems the foam is put in all around metal "coat hanger" type rods that are only seen after you cut away some material. I pushed on mine a great deal to try and make the collapsed sides more upright. It helped ... but not a great deal.
After putting in the foam "rectangles" i made and let the adhesive set for 10 minutes or so, i cut the protruding foam off, and took a look at it. It still seemed that the side that was collapsed was still much lower then the other side. I didn't do much about this but kind-of "round" out the other side with the knife. Other then that i don't think there is much more you can do with this type of seat without being a professional.
After getting everything back together and putting the seats back into the Jeep, i sat in them for a second and they seem to hold you in place better. The drive to work this morning didn't prove very much for me. It felt much better for the 10 minutes i sat in it, but still no where near what i think it could be. My Girlfriend in the passenger seat said it was a big difference .. so i guess now only time will tell.

Next time around, and my advise to everyone else with this type of seat would be to take the seat into a professional and have them inspect the seat, and re-pad it. Wash the covers yourself and be amazed at how clean they become. My initial plan was to take them in and have them re-padded and reupholstered ... but now i can see that its best just to get them re-padded. I just didn't have enough time to do so.

I hope that helps someone and is at least halfway coherent!

Glad at least your girlfriend is happy with the results. ;)
Also I just remembered that from 95 to 97 we got ZJ seats in our XJ's straight from the factory. That would be why the differences.

Back