• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New gears / ARB break in procedure???

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Well...I finally got my rear ready to go. Put it back under the jeep with fresh 4.56's and an ARB. Ive searched for what the proper break in procedures for new gears/locker. Didnt really find anything good. The book on the ARB tells me to change the fluid after a certain period...but I have nothing on the gears. So..whats the deal? How long do I have to take it easy on em...how bout til I change fluid again? Im sure there might be different opinions on what the break in should be... Thanks for the input!

Justin

do a couple heat cycles.

Drive for about 15-30 minutes, or until diff is hot (check by placing your hand on the diff cover). Let cool. Repeat.

Once you get a couple of those in, try going further. At 500 miles, replace the fluid. This also depends on the weight of the oil.

after driving first 15-20 miles it is best to let the diff cool.. the first 500 miles are crucial..

according to my yukon manual.. it also says something about towing

The ARB just needs fluid. I have installed them front and rear in my Jeep and have read through the manual and dont remember seeing anything on break in for the locker itself.

The gears... Once they are installed and filled up with fluid, drive for 15-20min doing average city speeds, no high speed runs yet. After the first inital break in highway speeds are fine. The diff should be hot after driving around so let it cool back to ambient temperature. This is crutial as it work hardens the gear teeth. No excessive strain on the gears for the first 500 miles. This includes excessive throttle usage and towing. The gears in my Jeep have lasted for 3 years now with my 32s and a built 4.0L and so far have not had any issues with the new 33s and 4.6L stroker. The gears in my Ford 8.8 are Value Gear brand and where the cheapest available set at the time :rolleyes:

AARON

Back