• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low range carrier

n2xjn

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting in gears and lockers, 4.56s...when I ordered my gears they mentioned that i would need a "low range carrier" for the front d30 (high pinion). Has anyone heard of this??? and whats involved in the install??

99 sport 2dr 7.5inch on 33" mtrs - 15x10 wheel

The gear carriers on certain differentials (Dana 30, 44, 60 comes to mind) locate the ring gear at a different offset in relation to the pinion gear. Lower gears (higher numerically) generally have small pinions and larger-thicker ring gears

On your Model 30, there is one carrier for ratios 3.55 and down numerically, and another one for ratios 3.73 and up numerically...

Some folks call this "carrier offset" others call it the "ratio break". and I guess wherever you got your gears from calls it a "low range carrier" since 3.73 and up are "lower gear" than the stock one.

The install will be the same as for any other Dana 30... set pinion depth & bearing preload, set the gear backlash (mesh) and carrier bearing preload...

woody said:
If you are SURE you have 3.73:1 gears in the front... YOU WILL NOT NEED A FRONT CARRIER to regear to 4.56:1. The reason I ask if you are sure is that 3.73 is a very uncommon axle ratio for an 1987 or newer XJ. "most" 4.0L automatic shift came with 3.55:1 (4.0L manual shift came with 3.07:1) and "most" 2.5L came with 4.10:1.

There are two carrier offsets for the Dana model 30: 3.55:1 and down, and 3.73:1 and up. This holds true for the factory open carrier or aftermarket limited slips or full carrier lockers: Two different part #s for the different offsets.

Drop in lockers (EZ, Lock Rite, NoSlip, Aussie) don't care what the ratio/offset is.

Also the rear 8.25 carrier will be OK for the 4.56:1 swap as well (but no gears available to go deeper than 4.56:1)

You could retain the factory 8.25 limited slip, but if you decide you eventually want a locker for that carrier, you only have one choice: Powertrax No Slip. The earler 8.25s had 27 splines on the axle shafts/carrier side gears but in 97 or so they were upgraded to 29 splines. 2 splines doesn't sound like much, but it is a significant increase in strength.

I wheeled a season on 33" with an open carrier 27 spline 8.25"... had no issues :dunno: but If I were going to the bother of regearing, I'd have upgraded to 29 splines (find a pair of shafts & open carrier or the whole axle assy at a junkyard and be able to use the less expensive Lock Rite locker)

this was from a thread that i posted earlier called new carriers look at it. very informative for what yu are asking about.

I have a dana 30 carrier for sale, PM if intrested. Its for gear ratios 4.10 and up. I went to a HP dana 44 and no longer have a use for the parts from my dana 30.

AARON

thanks for the info. helps a bunch. by the way i have the 29spline 8.25 in rear, but 3.07 gears (manual trans). so i guess that means i need the new carrier in front, huh? anybody have a Hp d44 laying around?? A d44 for the rear would also be nice.

this place rocks

n2xjn said:
anybody have a Hp d44 laying around?? A d44 for the rear would also be nice.
this place rocks
If you think doing your 30 is a PITA...

n2xjn said:
thanks for the info. helps a bunch. by the way i have the 29spline 8.25 in rear, but 3.07 gears (manual trans). so i guess that means i need the new carrier in front, huh? anybody have a Hp d44 laying around?? A d44 for the rear would also be nice.

How do you go from asking a simple question about regearing your D30, to putting in a Hp44...............:dunno:

Back