• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size lift is this, and what tires should I run?

4.3xjguy

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an 84 cherokee a while ago and it had a trailmaster lift and 33x10.5 all terrains. I'm going to be getting some mud terrains soon, and my first thought was 33x12.5 mud terrains. But after some consideration I'm wondering if I should go with 32x11.5 (thinking of goodyear mt/rs tires) instead since this would maybe give me some better articulation. The other thing I like about going this way, is that I'm thinking of putting a POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT Locker in the rear and the 32" tires would be less stress on the POS dana 30. Im also going to build some rock sliders, so combined wtih 32" tires and a locker I should still be able to run some decent trails right? Mudding has never really interested me, so Ill probably be doing mostly technical and small rock clumbing with the truck. I posted some pictures so you guys could maybe get a good idea of what size the lift is. Tell me what you guys think, and thanks for the help!

susp3.JPG

susp1.JPG

susp2.JPG

Looks like 4-5 inch.

What Bing said. If it's a Trailmaster it's got to be a 3" with a spacer/shackle kit added in. In the neighborhood of 4.5".

4.3xjguy said:
The other thing I like about going this way, is that I'm thinking of putting a POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT Locker in the rear and the 32" tires would be less stress on the POS dana 30.

I wouldnt worry about that 'POS dana 30', and check the rear end out first.... if its a d35, you have worse things to worry about than the d30.

hopefully the rear is a d44...

I wouldnt worry about that 'POS dana 30', and check the rear end out first.... if its a d35, you have worse things to worry about than the d30.

err, sorry I got the two mixed up. Its a dana 35c in the rear and 30 upfront. Do you think I'll be ok with 32" tires and a locker in the rear?

4.3xjguy said:
err, sorry I got the two mixed up. Its a dana 35c in the rear and 30 upfront. Do you think I'll be ok with 32" tires and a locker in the rear?

the d35 is failure prone with larger than stock tires and especially with lockers. if you are a finese driver, and not a gun-ho driver, it should be ok. just take extra shafts. If you break it once, you'll do it again.....then its time to swap it out.

someone chime in... is that year a c-clip axle?? some older d35's were non c-clip, but only marginally stronger.

I know a xj driver who ran 33's and lockers on a d35, and never broke it. he drove it hard, but not stupid.

A guy at Uwharrie broke a D35 shaft on 35's with no locker. And then when he got it back together he drove like a jackass trying to break it again. Don't hold people up on the trail like this guy did. Get a new axle :)

is that year a c-clip axle?? some older d35's were non c-clip, but only marginally stronger
its a non-clip axle. Thanks for your help.

A guy at Uwharrie broke a D35 shaft on 35's with no locker. And then when he got it back together he drove like a jackass trying to break it again. Don't hold people up on the trail like this guy did. Get a new axle
How long do you think it would take to swap in a dana 44 or a ford 8.8? I'm a professional welder so the welding will be no problem for me its just that my dad always gets made whenever I work on my truck in the garage and theres not much room, but if i could do it over a weekend I could probably get away with it. Well I'll be moving out within half a year so I wont have to deal with that anymore, and then I can work on 4x4s all the time :). Whats easier / faster to put in, a dana 44 or a ford 8.8?

Also the trails over here aren't like the ones in the states. Here there is hundreds of thousands of miles of forest service roads and such so blocking other trucks wouldnt be much of an issue, but getting stranded would.

Back