• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What'cha Break at JV? (Carnage tally)

mikedashg

NAXJA Forum User
I was keeping a tally in my head of what I heard broke.

I heard three front shafts (some of them were chromo) two or three valve stems, 2 shocks, a couple of tires, a fan going through the radiator, a tailight or two, an overload spring, what am I missing? Let's start a list going, just add to the previous post and that should work. *I* got off pretty easy I think...

1 Ripped vacuum hose
1 Valve stem
1 tailight on someone elses rig (if ya wern't on clawhammer, don't ask)
1 bumper cap on someone elses rig (if ya wern't on clawhammer, don't ask)

:flipoff:

Mike,

Funny you should bring this up. ;)
DSC02019.jpg

It was still good to see you again though, well, because it wasn't my tail light that is.:D

I broke:
1 rear shock (my own)

Last edited:
1 destroyed tire
1 power steering pump resevoir cap
1 broken bar pin on a rear rancho 9000

it's important to note that I did that without wheeling my jeep, though. It just looked at JV and broke out of sympathy for the other rigs. Going to sleep with full tire and waking up with a flat one was strange.

blew rear shock (on the dirt road home out of the lake bed)
bent and leaking rear diff cover
candy cane pin stripes on rear drive shaft (might have knocked it out of balance, felt a vibe on the way home)
totally bent rear shock mount

Figure all this damage was from the 1st time Jeeper I let handle my rig. He is hooked now and is looking for a XJ. Well worth the little bit of damage.

cal said:

You also forgot to get one from me Sunday morning.

You broke another barpin?!!!
:laugh3:

And what's the list of carnage on Paul's rig while you were driving it?!
:gag:

cal said:
1 destroyed tire
1 power steering pump resevoir cap

it's important to note that I did that without wheeling my jeep, though. It just looked at JV and broke out of sympathy for the other rigs. Going to sleep with full tire and waking up with a flat one was strange.

Although I didn't break anything my rig is a little uglier as a result of the weeks activities.
Some notable pics I took...

Don't let a friend drive your rig, he'll cut your tire in ten feet...
picture.JPG

If your Yukon Dana30 shaft's splines are this twisted, don't back up!
picture.JPG

If your tow hook brackets mount with the three stock bumper bolts they're just "show" hooks. ;)
picture.JPG

If you are from AZ, Superior rear Dana44 shafts are not superior.
picture.JPG

Radiator meet Mr. Fan - limped it back to camp, got a ride into town and bought some leak seal, dumped it in and sealed it up for about 500 miles of a 750 mile trip, bought more leak seal and made it home.
rear view mirror fell off
various rock rash on the rear qtr panels
found out today my TC skid is hanging on by one bolt - think that happened on the way home

all in all I had a fun time - thanks to everyone there!!

Jes said:
picture.JPG

If your tow hook brackets mount with the three stock bumper bolts they're just "show" hooks. ;)
picture.JPG

I tried to tell him (after the fact) that the frame rail plates were missing. But nobody listens to me, I try to tell them. Follow! But! follow only if ye be men of valor, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of four fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty big pointy teeth. He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!

Bent said:
I tried to tell him (after the fact) that the frame rail plates were missing. But nobody listens to me, I try to tell them. Follow! But! follow only if ye be men of valor, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of four fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty big pointy teeth. He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!

I'd go straight for the holy hand grenade. ;)

tore a valve stem
buggered up my passenger mirror some more
drove my passenger rockers skids up enuf to make the doors drag when opening
in otherwords.....claw hammer was a blast!
had a great time and hope to see everyone again soon!

Bent said:
You also forgot to get one from me Sunday morning.

I had a spare at home. I got really cold saturday night, shoved all of my camping gear into the back seat and left. I broke it down and packed it on my lawn at home. :)

bent tie rod
broken overload spring
rear quarter panels are now going to be removed
muffler is smashed
drive shaft has lots of stripes and one dimple
frame rails have many new dents

I guess it is time to channel my frame rails

cal said:
I got really cold saturday night, shoved all of my camping gear into the back seat and left. :)

Both night had a low of 17* :shiver:

In the first 100 feet of clawhammer....

1 4340 Yukon shaft in my D30
1 Winch quit working
1 Rear Driveshaft grease seal busted off
1 right rear taillight busted
1 front left fender dented
1 front left Bushwacker busted
1 rear left Bushwacker completely removed
2 Rockers completely caved in for the entire length

In my defense....the shaft breaking caused ALL other damage while trying to turn around and drive back to camp without 4WD. Mostly had to be dragged:(

David Taylor said:
1 Champion beadlock wheel.

What happend to that, and when? Did you break an inner bead?

I broke one Warn hub, and ripped my exhaust apart. I also cut an already cut tire.

Back