• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help diagnose my no start

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
1991 XJ 4.0 aw4 242, ABS

new parts:
coil
CPS
fuel filter
fuel pump relay

what i have checked

spark? no
power to coil - there - replaced coil - nothing
fuel at rail pressure and volume checked by depressing valve and fuel squirted out.

I was dirving it one day, and it just died, then i couldnt get it to start after that - makes me think more of a part failure than a short or something.

all fuses and relays check out.
couppla questions -

where is the PCM? how do i test it? from my searching that could be my problem
also is there a way to check the igniton switch? that is the other thing that i am leaning towards...

thanks guys
-Opie

You'll never get it going again -- best to give it away.

Ignition switch
--------------------
START--Engages starter?
ON--power to radio, guages, etc..

ECU
----------------------
Located on driver side fender wall.

No easy way to test, other than...Run Key-cycle test
If it returns codes, chances are it's working.

p.s. Triple-check the fuses--I said that from personal experience(and I'm suppose to know better)

turns over but wont start

radio, gauges work fine...

no issues there...

will run key cycle test...

Distributor. Or parts within.... ignitor, and whatever the other 2 or 3 are.

hmmm CE light codes show codes:
11 - bad conection from CPS or PCM
12 - battery or PCM unpluged in last 50 key cycles (i did un-plug both)
55 - end of cycle

hmm

maybe my new CPS wasnt the right one or my wires arent as good?

would a bad CPS cause the car to stop running? I thought it wasnt needed for anything but to start the vehicle...

It shouldn't run if it's bad.

Whats the mileage? Original or replaced engine? My distributor went on my old Honda and thats what it did. Just throwing some parts at ya.

langer1 said:
The CPS will stop it dead. It's the CKP thats needed for starting.

the ckp being the?

BingBing said:
Whats the mileage? Original or replaced engine? My distributor went on my old Honda and thats what it did. Just throwing some parts at ya.

origonal motor, origonal tranny

any way to check the distributor?

any way to check the CPS?

A signal from the CPS is required for the engine to start and run.

I believe Renix/Chrys CPS sensors are different, and are not interchangeable.
The Renix is a resistive type. Assuming that it's what you have, and it's good -- you should be able to identify with an Ohmmeter (search forums --the values are out there). If it is get the Chrys type.

Check for spark at the coil, rather than at the distributor. That should be able to isolate the dist as a potential problem.

And yes, the CPS harness has been know to get burned/shorted at the header.

Note: The ECU will only clear a fault from its memory after 51 engine starts. So, even though a problem may have been fixed, it will still show up in the ECU memory.

what about the distributor condenser?

I would go after the cam position sensor in the distributor. This is usually the case when the CPS doesn't fix it. You will need to remove the distibutor and disassemble the dist to replace it. Just be sure to mark everything so it can be reassembled correctly. Put the engine at TDC and mark the dist body and shaft orientation/position/direction before removing it from the engine or you will never get it running right again without professional help.

Bryan C. said:
I would go after the cam position sensor in the distributor. This is usually the case when the CPS doesn't fix it. You will need to remove the distibutor and disassemble the dist to replace it. Just be sure to mark everything so it can be reassembled correctly. Put the engine at TDC and mark the dist body and shaft orientation/position/direction before removing it from the engine or you will never get it running right again without professional help.

realllllly.... sounds fun

thanks

againstherwill said:
Ranger isn't it opie? Anyway did you replace the distributor? If so did it fix it? I am beating my head up against a wall with similur no start issue. replaced everything I could think of and then some see

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71005

Any wisdome?

nope - instead i flew back to Nebraska and abandoned the project till 3 weeks from now when i am home for christmas...

Back