• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockn' XJ Jamboree report

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Here are a few comments about the weekend.

First, a special thanks to everyone who helped out to make this weekend happen. Andy Couch who led the easy run, Dave Taylor and Paul Sinclair who led the moderate run, and Farmer Matt Andrew who co-lead the hard run. Capt Ron Johnson who put together a great raffle, and all the people who made individual donations, and to our own members that have XJ businesses that really came through with good stuff. And thanks to all the people who helped out with dinner, sold raffle tickets, and did whatever needed to be done.

I counted 46 rigs that participated, which I think is the best turnout we've had for a SoCal XJ run yet.

The weather was as good as it gets in Johnson Valley, even though it got cold at night. Sunny days, clear cold nights, and no wind.

Overall, carnage wasn't too bad. We had a number of cut tires, which is pretty normal. I won't try to report all the body damage, but I know Capt Nemo and Rabbit got hit pretty hard and lost some glass. Rick Norman broke a rear D44 shaft on Outer Limits on Friday, and then broke the other side on Wrecking Ball Saturday. Rob in a TJ bent a tie rod on Outer Limits, and also cut a tire. JohnX broke a front axle on Clawhammer Saturday. The most interesting break of the weekend had to be Jay Rabbit on Wrecking Ball, when he broke a front axle shaft on the last BIG waterfall, wedged against the wall, in the dark. We made sure there was hot food when the rest of the Wrecking Ball gang finally made it back to camp.

The easy run gang decided they wanted to run a trail, rather than see the interesting sights of Johnson Valley, so Andy took them up Lower Big Johnson. They took it slow and easy, and it sounds like they had a good time.

There were many great raffle prizes, I'll see if I can remember a few. Mike G won a Warn winch. Rick somehow ended up with a set of Alloy USA rear D44 shafts to replace the two he broke. Sequoia won a Loose Nuts front winch bumper and 4.88 front gear set from Randy's Ring and Pinion, plus RE front disconnects and t-case drop. 99xjache won the C-Rok rear bumper.

Sunday morning a few of us went over and ran Backdoor. Matt was able to drive the big waterfall, so all the work on the CAT was worth it. The rest of us had to winch that one, but drove the rest of the trail. A few of us then ran Lower and Upper Big Johnson, then Clawhammer, and we were back in camp before 1:00 to load up and head for home.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention that JohnX was kind enough to bring a nice birthday cake for the kid kevO, but he didn't bother to arrange for the day off and didn't show up. :looser:

We had a great time, and we'll do it again next year.

:wave:

Outstanding!

A big thanks to Richard for formulating the idea for the event, and following it thru. Also, to everyone that does this event under its usual format for sharing it with a wider crowd.

I heard nothing but positive comments, and it was really great to see how many people showed up and participated. You guys rock!

On the fundraising end, it can sometimes be difficult under the best circumstances to round up enough quality items to generate more than a passing interest for people to spending money for even the best causes. Not so this time. Vendors within the group were extremely generous, and honestly, I really didn't have to do very much with so many people stepping up to the plate with such hi end goods. The real credit goes to everyone who came out, had a good time, and ponyed up the money to buy tickets!

Continue to support the vendors when you can, it keeps the cycle going.

Ardis and I had a great time, enjoyed meeting those we had not met yet (this even includes the Sierra guys :D), and as always, the usual suspects we didn't get nearly enough time to spend with.

--ron

Just wanted to say thanks to every who helped out to put this show on.

This was my first time wheelin with a group of XJ'ers and it was the best wheelin time I've had, well worth the 750 mile trip. I actually won something at a raffle for once in my life( the safety seal kit) LOL.

Yeah, I had less than a 1/4 tank, and it ran out on the waterfall since my nose was pointed to the sky. Thankfully, Dan had five gallons on the back of his XJ so I hung there on the winch while he went to get it.

Here's another shot of Matt:
standard.jpg

Check THIS pic out then look at where the big rock is in THIS one. That was some real smooth rock stacking................

-Mike

Richard,
Thanks again for a great event, the family and I had a blast.
As far as the raffle goes, it would have been nothing without the tremendous support of our Sponsors and generous Vendors. The generosity didn't end there. There were selfless winners as well; those who put the cause ahead of themselves. You know who you are, it did not go unnoticed.
With it, this run brought a few firsts for me; some good, some not so much. Although Ethan often accompanies me to functions, this was the first time I actually had both of my sons in attendance. Richard and his fiancé came out for their first look at our sport. I don't think they were quite prepared for the amount of involvement, recourses, passion and well, money (though he has very little room to talk regarding the latter) that a bunch of people from the internet invest in their rigs and each other. They were made very welcome at the camp fire or anywhere else they wandered. You all did a remarkable job of impersonating respectable and honorable people, although they did go to bed rather early.
Saturday running Clawhammer was a great time, I'll be back again soon. Somewhere along the trail one of my rear shocks took it upon itself to protect the gas tank skid and rear axle from rocks. A valiant effort, though not a very bright one. From the looks of it's twisted, frozen body, it died a horrible death. Both the trail leader and the tail gunner were above and beyond. Their commitment to those of us in their charge has forced me to rather disappointingly reassess my performance in those roles.Thanks guys, you were great and I suck at names.
As Saturday evening was slipping into Sunday morning I really enjoyed the company of those around the main (thanks John)campfire. I had to make a few trips over to keep my camp fire to keep it going though. I was trying to keep the abandoned stray passed out in my chair from freezing to death before he was sober enough to enjoy it. Neither of those occurred to the best of my knowledge. Note to self: Never go drinking with Cracker!
Sunday was a little bit too much. Trying to get two sports in on one weekend is a little more than my poor carcass is willing to be happy about. But on the other hand I hadn't had a chance to ride my new (to me) motorcycle yet. After several jaunts through the sand and whoops and.... oh yeah, them sneaky @$# %&## &$@!& **%$& holes in the dry lakebed my body no longer would acknowledge my brains self proclaimed authority. In my brains defense however, by the end of the day the bile still scared the snot out of it......too.
It was a good time with some great people, familiar faces and new. Looking forward to the next get together.

TIM

Oh, there's one more thing I almost forgot, missed ya cupcake,
:kissyou:
xoxo

Tim, so you found one of the bomb craters? Been there, done that, though luckily I was a passenger and not driver........riding with Garry when we hit one going about 50. Broke the front 9" housing in half.

Glad to hear that you had a great time. You're rig looks good, BTW.

Back