• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB lockers Front and Rear for my 93....HELP....

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
Ok I have been saving up to get ARB lockers Front and Rear for my 93 for a long time……

And now that I have the money…..im uncertain on buying them…

My Axles are what are bothering me!
Im thinking one day far far…………………….far (not for a long time) into the future I might……“might” (meaning I “might” not) go to 35s.

Right now I have the RE 4.5 with 32s.

SO……….
I think im going to keep the d30 up front b/c I can always brace the hell out of it and
up-grade the shafts.
I think with me, it will hold up.

But……….
What should I do with the rear 8.25?
I could upgrade the shafts from 27 spline to 29
But from what I hear and believe, that’s not good enough.

I could get a 8.8……
But I really don’t want to, mostly because from what I gather, the ground clearance of the 8.8 and 32s would just suck…..

The 9’……….
………………..that’s a lot of money isn’t it?

I could get the d44…………
That’s going to take a lot of luck to find 1 of those.
And a lot of luck to fine 1 cheep.

Toyota axles……..
I know nothing about……..

Gears!
Im stock right now but I think im going to go to 4.10 or prob 4.56
My Jeep sees the pavement 99.5% of its life so I want to gear it for mostly road use!!!

NOW!!!
I live in Ohio………My Jeep doesn’t see many ROCKS (yes, it’s a vary sad feeling)
I mostly see dirt…..mud…..snow, and the occasional logs.
But when I do see rocks (small rocks, and vary rarely) I have a light foot and just ease over them.

What would you guys do if you were me?

Thanks Everyone
-Chris

C85D4x4 said:
Ok I have been saving up to get ARB lockers Front and Rear for my 93 for a long time……

And now that I have the money…..im uncertain on buying them…

My Axles are what are bothering me!
Im thinking one day far far…………………….far (not for a long time) into the future I might……“might” (meaning I “might” not) go to 35s.

Right now I have the RE 4.5 with 32s.

SO……….
I think im going to keep the d30 up front b/c I can always brace the hell out of it and
up-grade the shafts.
I think with me, it will hold up.

But……….
What should I do with the rear 8.25?
I could upgrade the shafts from 27 spline to 29
But from what I hear and believe, that’s not good enough.

I could get a 8.8……
But I really don’t want to, mostly because from what I gather, the ground clearance of the 8.8 and 32s would just suck…..

The 9’……….
………………..that’s a lot of money isn’t it?

I could get the d44…………
That’s going to take a lot of luck to find 1 of those.
And a lot of luck to fine 1 cheep.

Toyota axles……..
I know nothing about……..

Gears!
Im stock right now but I think im going to go to 4.10 or prob 4.56
My Jeep sees the pavement 99.5% of its life so I want to gear it for mostly road use!!!

NOW!!!
I live in Ohio………My Jeep doesn’t see many ROCKS (yes, it’s a vary sad feeling)
I mostly see dirt…..mud…..snow, and the occasional logs.
But when I do see rocks (small rocks, and vary rarely) I have a light foot and just ease over them.

What would you guys do if you were me?

Thanks Everyone
-Chris

If you are staying out of the rocks, a 29 spline 8.25 would probably be ok for you. Upgrade it to disk brakes off of a ZJ (easy bolt on setup..) and your good to go.. just don't get stupid on the gas. You will need to get the 29 spline shafts and arb at the same time of course, but it would not be a bad deal. If you find that you keep breaking shafts, you can always upgrade to a 44 later, and sell your current setup to fund an arb for the 44..

As far as gears go, even if you stay at 32's, go 4.56. 4.56 and 32's puts you VERY close to 'stock' rpms on the highway, is perfect on 33's and manageable on 35's.

cal said:
just don't get stupid on the gas.

Ummm..........yea.........about that.........

Some times i can get bored when im out with my friends,

....and ill kinda hit the gas to spin all the tires in the mud, and possibly attempt donuts

But i only do it in the mud

and
Thanks for the great info!

for 99.5% of on road time, i don't see the need for the ARB's at all, for that .5% it's offroad, just get powertrax for the rear.

mack said:
for 99.5% of on road time, i don't see the need for the ARB's at all, for that .5% it's offroad, just get powertrax for the rear.

ok i lied....its around 80%
but it my dd so yea......its gona see alot more on-road than off-road time

and i really like to be able to turn the lockers on and off when i want, so i dont have to worry that they mite engage at the wrong times on the road
and they will be engaged at all times no matter how i hit the gas
and plus i will be able to fill my tires back up when i get off the trail :)

I mean it would be GREAT either way........and i see what ur saying
But i think ill be happyer with the ARBs

Last edited:
it seems as if you are set on the ARBs. now this is just my personal opinion, but i would find a 44 or an 8.8 since it will have discs already. and, if i'm not mistaken, some of the 8.8s will have a factory limited slip. I don't know how good they are though. anyways, pocket the money that you would have spent on the ARB for the 8.8, and drive around witht LS for awhile to see how you like it. if you think you need more, then you can always upgrade to the ARB or a Detriot.

Fuel90 said:
it seems as if you are set on the ARBs. now this is just my personal opinion, but i would find a 44 or an 8.8 since it will have discs already. and, if i'm not mistaken, some of the 8.8s will have a factory limited slip. I don't know how good they are though. anyways, pocket the money that you would have spent on the ARB for the 8.8, and drive around witht LS for awhile to see how you like it. if you think you need more, then you can always upgrade to the ARB or a Detriot.

I thk i mite do that,
thanks for the input!

if that is your jeep in your avatar....

don't spend any money on it... just go buy a spare.

i would not do a non selectable locker if you say you drive 99% onroad and also in snowy situations. a non selectable up front will drive you crazy in snow (you better off in 2wd) your 30 and 8.25 (29spline) will hold fine in the terrain you run if you have probs with the front got to alloys. if you move to less slippery terrain you should deff think about axle upgrades.

like others have said, you seem to be set on the arb's. but for the amount of offroading you do, i'd just get the one arb in the rear axle. that'd save you a chunk of change. and if you decided to go with a larger front axle in the future for larger tires, you won't be out as much. :dunno:

Back