• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK, no good results for oil filter question...

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
I need an oil filter. I looked in the book at Wal-mart and it should I should buy an HM-16 Fram oil filter for high milage vehicles. I paid one of my techs in the back to do an oil change for me and he said the filter didn't fit. That I needed a PH-16 filter.

Screw that. I took the thing back and decided to get a real oil filter. I hear you can put 1qt filters on there. What is the advantage of this, and what manufacturer/part number should I look for at AutoZone to be easily popped in my 1991 4L engine? I don't want any mods or anything. Just the right thread size will do perfectly. I don't care if it's 1qt or 1/2qt, just as long as it fits.

purolator L14670
purolator PL14670
fram PH16
fram TG16
fram XG16
fram DG16
fram HM16
valvoline VF16
k&n HP2004
advance AA16
ac delco PF13
bosch 3402
bosch 72198
pennzoil PZ34

everyone of those should work. even the one the retard at walmart told you didn't fit.

The filter I bought pshycially didn't fit. The tech even showed it to me. The filter that was on my Jeep had a bigger thread pattern and larger diameter hole than the filter I bought.

alpinetiburon04, to answer your first question:

Filters that hold a larger quantity of oil provide cooler oil temperatures. There's more oil to go around, so it's being used less often. Not nearly as efficient as a dedicated oil cooler, I bet.

If you aren't running at redline all day long, I'm not sure of the need on a regular motor.

do you have one of the non-HO 91's? i heard it was a transition year and some still had the regular 4.0L. if that filter didn't work, try getting a filter for a 90 xj.

purolator 14619
fram 3985
k&N 2007
bosch 3401

Some of the '91s apparently did get the older fitting with metric threading. They're easily identified by the filter screwing vertically down onto the filter adapter. Those engines use a 20x1.5mm threaded filter, such as the Wix (and NAPA Gold) 51626, Purolator PER4670, Fram PH3985, or AC-Delco PF9.

The HO engine uses a 3/4"-16 threaded 1/2-quart filter that runs in horizontally to the adapter. The callout is for a Wix 51085 1/2-quart filter. However, this can be replaced by a larger 1-qt Wix 51515, Fram PH-8A, Purolator PER1A, Motorcraft FL-1A, or AC-Delco PF2, etc...

Jim

Back