• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 Super Flex (Installed... questions)

Tenny

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, well I went with what everyone suggested, and ordered a RE3.5 Super Flex, and well the installation went pretty well, all the upper shock mount bolts came out fine, there was really no "BIG" problems with the lift took about 6 hours total for the lift (not including shocks).

Now I have a '94 w/ NV242 & 8.25 (I'm pretty sure). I ordered the wrong RE3.5 (Ordered the D35 version), was told that the only difference between the two are the U-Bolts, so I just kept using the stock ones.

The real problem is with the drive shaft, agreed most say over 3.5 you'll need a TC drop kit or a SYE, but since this was a pre-'96 I was 'hoping' to get away with it, and put a TC Drop if I must. But as it is now the thing is sitting VERY HIGH. My friends that helped me out today, they have a 5" overal on theirs, and mine was sitting a good amount higher, and that's on the stock tires still. I really do beleive it went up 6 " maybe even more. It settled about 1" in about an hour. How much more will it really settle? Will it take months and months?

My real hope is to get away with a TC Drop kit, then have it settle to the point it's not even needed. Obviously after it settles and if I still need the TC Drop kit, I will go ahead and get a SYE, but if there is no need I don't plan on it. Plus I don't need everyone telling me to just get the SYE right now, since I'm not the richest person in the world, I realize I should, and eventualy I will, but other things have a higher priority (See: Food, Rent, Bills)

Thanks!

Just keep some weight in the rear for a little while to help it settle if you are really worried about it. Have you driven it yet to see how it drives?

How are your driveline angles?

did you make sure to wait to torque all your bolts down until AFTER it was placed on the ground? if you torque the bolts down with it still drooping on jack stands, you might be binding up the suspension and that's causing the lift to sit really high. ...or at least contribute to it.

yeah right now I have 5 tires sitting in the back ( I have three sets of tires for this vehicle right now duh!)

and no, we torqued everything while it was on the lift, I'll go check it out (just woke up) and let you guys know how it is today, would it be safe to loosen everything, then re-tighten it without putting it on jacks and everything? (I live in an apartment, and only have one jack, while my friends supplied the others).

Thanks!

Ok, so I told my brother I was going out to check out how much it settled, he laughed at me. I said why how much did it drop, and he said it went up more!

So I checked it, and everything was exactly the same, besides the front driver, it went up 1/8"

My friends also told me that if you follow the 'trim' line that goes form the rear to the front is the only 'level' part on the car, so yesteryday we measured it, and right after we finished the front was 5" lower than the rear, today it's 3" lower than the rear.

In a few I'm going to go out, loosen some bolts, and then re-tighten them, hopefully I find something that works!

Thanks agian!

Lifts almost always lift you higher than rated. I put 2.5 inch full leafs in the back of my 93 and on 235/75/15 my back bumper is a little higher than my girlfreinds 94 with 3 inch aal and 31's. When i measured mine i got about 3.5 amount of lift.

i just put on my 3.5 super ride 2 weeks ago, its now at 3.5 in. but when we first installed it it was probably around 5-6in....it will settle with time.

Ok, glad to read that! Anyways I'm 'making' my own TC Drop kit, I just need something to last a few weeks, becuase if it still needs a TC Drop then, I'll just go with a SYE.

Well a little update on the situation.

My TC Drop kit went fine, except I couldn't get one out, took it to 4 shops none could get it out so I made a new hole, and it's holding fine so far! :) It stopped the vibration and I went up to 65mph fine.

This morning I put on the 31x10.5x15's and now when I break around 5mph or starts to vibrate untill about mph, also feels about the same less servere when accelerating around 5mph. These are BFG M/T's, and i've never had an agressive tread like these, so I'm not sure if the tread acts weird at those speeds, or what. Since it was fine with the old tires I really don't think it's the drive line, just kinda strange. Anyone know what it means?

Thanks

i put a RE 4.5 super flex kit in mine, and i believe you are getting 6" because i measured mine at 7" compared to where it was sitting and compared to my moms cherokee as well.

i also have a np242, and this is a 1990 xj.

i am running a 1" transfercase drop and 6 degree shim on the rear axle with no vibes up to 100mph.

-tim

When I first put my rusty's 4.5" on it sat right around 8", settled to about 7" in a couple weeks, and now after about 3 months (and hauling weight to make it settle) its at 5-5.5". The springs are pretty well broken in and the ride has gotten signifigantly better. Just give it some time, wheel it, and try throwing some weight in the back. I had a few 75 pound bags of mortar mix in mine and it rode like a caddy with them in there, plus helped to break in the springs quicker.

Back