• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crack in transfer case??

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
I don't ever recall seeing this specific line on my t-case, and can't tell if is some kind of casting mark, or a crack.

Any ideas?

Pic is crappy, but what I could do. The crack is the line from the top of the case to the bottom, jsut to the side of the tag.

DSCN0667.jpg

Is it really a crack or just "flashing" - lines of leftover material sticking out from the aluminum casting process. Does it leak? Flashing will be an external protrusion not a split between the pieces. It would really help if you rotated the pic and could supply a higher resolution image.

Can't tell if it leaks et, just noticed it.

It is smooth when I run my finger across it, so it isnt left over material.

I'll try and get a better pic.

Fergie

Looks awful straight for a stress crack...

Either way...

I'd start scavenging for a spare...

I just went out and looked at mine.
93' NP231
It has the same exact line yours does.
I think it is just a casting line.

Jason

Very cool, thank you for looking.

Gil- The Jeep has to make it another three weeks, and then parts are being transferred to a new and better one.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Very cool, thank you for looking.

Gil- The Jeep has to make it another three weeks, and then parts are being transferred to a new and better one.

Fergie

ya know...

The odd thing is...

I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I did my SYE a few years back...

What is the definition of a "new and better" one?

I'd be happy to find a rust-free body donor

:D

Climbing a hill wet with rocks. And just a few bounces of the front end with a bad tranny mount and too long of a spare front driveshaft. Im thinking that what caused it. When it first happend I thought it was an axles shaft. Till i started backing down the hill and seen the fluid in the creek bed. heres another view.
DSCN0660.jpg

Back