• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

splash gaurd

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
could someone please tell me how to remove the plastic push pins or whatever they are that hold the rubber splash gaurd in place?

I'm trying to find a coolant leak, and the splash gaurd needs to go,however, I would like to be able to get it back on if I can get it off without destroying it.

I've tried pliers and a big flat head screwdriver. is there a trick to getting these things off?

thanks

B

They are a PITA. You can use a door trim panel removal tool, usually in the Help! aisle at stores, but it is still a sucky job.

OLD1001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies- It was a PITA,especially when you get soaked with coolant everytime you pull on the thing, but I finally got them out (small crowbar)- destroyed them in the process- should I just get replacements, or is there something that works better?

thanks again for your help

B

When I made a splash guard out of aluminum, I tapped a few of the holes for 5/16-18, so I could use screws, but they sell replacements in a pack of 10 or 15 for a few bucks at most auto stores. You could probably just use some really large self-tapping/sheet metal screws too.

When I worked on my GF's Nissan a few days ago, they use really nice push fasteners with a plastic screw down the center. It's hard to explain, but the plastic screw goes in and expands the holding part of the push fastener. They hold better and are way easier to remove.

Back