• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tc swap

rupert

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 xj with the command trac , with the vacuum disco axles ,and i also have a 87 wagoneer with the 242 case , so heres the question i want to swap in the 231 case in the 87 as the body is in much better shape both are aw4 trannies , and i already have a A/A sye kit for the 231 but it the tail housing doesnt have the vacuum swith provisions as i bought this kit for my tj so the question is what does the vacuum swith really do does it just for the axle and can i use the sye kit and not worry about the the switch as the waggy doesnt have vacuum disconect axles

i am putting this case in my 87 waggy and it doesnt have the vacuum disconnect axles , so how does the light come on for the 242 case , and will i have a indicator light then when i do the swap thks for the info

The 242 should have a switch on it to control the indicator lights. There were some postings a while back that said the wiring harness should be there for the 242 connections, even though the XJ came with a 231. There was something about getting a short jumper cable (about a foot long) to hook it up. The 242 uses either a 3 wire or a 4 wire connection (one is ground if it is four-wire), and the jumper fits the switch on the t-case and runs to the factory wiring harness. One author bought the cable for $15 at the dealer (is anything that cheap at the dealer??), but he was working on a 1998.

Last edited:
I personally did this swap about 2 months ago.

I swapped in a np 231 out of a 87 xj into a 87 xj wagoneer. The 231 replaced the 242.

As far as I remember, I didn't hook up any wires.

My fourwheel drive is operable.

You'll need to swap in the shift gate from the donor vehicle.

Adjust your linkage.

I'm not sure what you need to do to get your 4wd light to work, but you really don't need it. I don't.

Back