• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick easy disc brake question

BingBing

NAXJA Forum User
Will rear discs from a ZJ 35 BOLT ON to my XJ's 35 rear? Meaning no fancy brackets or cutting or grinding. I know you need all the hardware from the donor axle, longer studs, and to bend the hardlines. Is that it? Straight forward, yes or no and why. None of the links give a prominent answer. Thank You.

I guess this was either a dumb question or a really good one. Well i think i have assumed that it is a bolt on upgrade. Thank You.

If memory serves, the hard parts are nearly a bolt-over - provided you don't have C-clip axles! The c-clip axles ae retained internally, and don't have bolt flanged on the outside that will be used to retain the backing plates and the bracketry.

It's pretty esy to see which style D35 you've got - for starters, check arond the tube for four bolts to retain the backing plate for the brake assembly.

Failing that, next time you're changing the fluid, look at the side gears for a circular recess and a C-shaped clip around the axle shaft end (don't bother if you don't see the backing plate bolts. If the backing plate is welded on, you're likely to have a C-clip.)

Conversion from C-clip to retainer - the best way to do this is to change the axle housing entirely to a version with retainer plates - either D35 or D44. Failing that, you can remove the housing ends from the C-clip axle and weld on a set from a retainer plate axle, then bolt the retainer plates on from the donor axle.

Bear in mind that you will have to change the axle shafts when you change the retainers - since the outer bearings are pressed onto the shaft and are held in by the retainer plate rather than pressed into the housing. Also, the rollers for the C-clip axle ride directly upon the shaft (locally hardened,) while the retainer plate axles have bother inner and outer races upon which the bearing rollers ride.

I seem to recall a RW disc conversion using ZJ parts on XJ D44's, and there was a variation in the instructions for the retainer plate D35 to expand the application - seems to me like www.madxj.com might have been the place to go for that - or just look about for 'XJ + "Brake Conversion"'

5-90

Something does not add up here- the axle from the grand is also a c-clip D35, so the disk hardware should fit an XJ c-clip D35. Mounts to the bolts used for the backing plate with drum brakes. Or am I missing something?

A lot of late ZJ's (and WJ's) used a D44 with an aluminum centre housing - elsewise, non-C-clip D35.

I could be wrong on this - and that's why I offered the search hooks for your reference. I've got several things I'm working on at the moment - and if you've got a correction that can be verified - I'd be happy to hear it!

5-90

Discs from a ZJ D35 will work on a XJ D35 assuming they are both c-clip axles...bolt on...sort of, if your definition of bolt on involves pulling axle shafts, removing the drums, bolting on the discs (you should not have to grind out the backing plate but if your axle is rusty (as most are) you will need to clean up the tube outboard of the mounting flange), putting on new wheel and brate backing plate retaining studs, and dealing with brake lines.

The e-brake lines are a whole nother story...they need to be booty-fabbed.

Oh, D44a discs are the exact same as those on the D35

Alright thanks. Yea it's a c-clip forgot to list the obvious. Yea that seems bolt on to me. I just didn't want to have to make up some brackets, no thanks i'm a mechanic not a machinist. Thank you, now to find a donor.

BingBing said:
Alright thanks. Yea it's a c-clip forgot to list the obvious. Yea that seems bolt on to me. I just didn't want to have to make up some brackets, no thanks i'm a mechanic not a machinist. Thank you, now to find a donor.

I never made any brackets for the brake lines...they are held on by the hard lines, I could zip tie them or make a bracket or use pipe fasteners, but they seems like they aren't going anywhere as is....

thats a good write up, but thats for an 8.25 axle, he has a D35, you have to open up the center hole on the backing plate for the 8.25.

Back