• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock rear swaybar BPE

jeepxj89

NAXJA Forum User
ive read a bit and found one article about how you go about doing this, but im just wondering how any of you have done it ? pictures please

jeepxj89 said:
ive read a bit and found one article about how you go about doing this, but im just wondering how any of you have done it ? pictures please
Any particular reason why you want rear swaybar? Unless you tow a lot of heavy loads you don't really need it. In later models (97+) XJ's came with slightly better shocks in the UpCountry package and no rear swaybar. Neither one of my jeeps ever had a swaybar and I even towed a ~3K lbs trailer from SoCal to Utah and back withotu any problems (ok getting a ticket for being in the wrong lane with a trailer does not count as a jeep related problem).

i dont have my rear sway bar in. what i meant was i know you use the sway bar bracket which connects the bar itself to the ubolt plate. my jeep is a 91 and sits at 6.5 lift in the front and 7 in the rear. i only have my front in. i busted an upper shock bolt off and i was searching around trying to find the best method to remove it ( im going to go with the hammer it out, slide a new bolt in method) when i stumbled across the idea of using the sway bar bracket as a cheap BPE. the guy used the stock bushing out of part of the bracket and the sleeve inside the bushing and pressed that into the upper shock eye hole. i dont really want to do that as all the rear swaybar bushings in my parts xj are toast, and im im trying to do this mod spending little to no money at all, which means not buying bushings hehe. so i was thinking maybe use the bushings and sleeve that comes with the new shock ( procomp ES 3000) cut a bit of the new shocks bushing and sleeve off on each side and drill the bolt holes on the bracket out a bit, but would that cause the bracket to be to weak or should it be fine?

P.S heres the link i found.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Rear_BPEs.htm

OOPS, I misunderstood the original post (too tired...)
OK, it's a bad idea to use the swaybar mount for a BPE as what it does is it shifts the direction of the shock rotation on the bolt in relation the body by 90 degrees and as you articulate you
1. will bind on the bold and not droop as much
2. bend the shock or damage something else

Look at the JKS BPE and you'll see what I mean: when they mount into the body they keep the same rotation of the shock due to the way they are designed.

hmm i was thinking about angles but i didnt think it could damagemy new shocks. i guess ill just buy the bpe's from jks. some things theres no cheap right way to do stuff :p

why not just rotate the shock mount @ the axel end 180 degree and move it up?

I think this is what I will be doing.

1. use the rear anti-swaybar bracket, bolts, and bushings @ the body shock mount (like the link shows)

2. Cut off factory axel shock mounts.

3. Attah new (double sheir) axel shock mounts @ axel tube hight.

xj9140 said:
why not just rotate the shock mount @ the axel end 180 degree and move it up?

I think this is what I will be doing.

1. use the rear anti-swaybar bracket, bolts, and bushings @ the body shock mount (like the link shows)

2. Cut off factory axel shock mounts.

3. Attah new (double sheir) axel shock mounts @ axel tube hight.

ok, think about how your axle rotates when you articulate: as the mount (axle end) gets further away from the body, the shock rotates so that it can "look" at a straight line at the body side mount.
I guess you could make the mount as you've described, but for some reason the way I'm visualing it, it would also bind as your rear axle droops. PLus isn't it a lot more work ?

xj9140 said:
I could be wrong.....I just don't see how it's any differant.
(rotating the shock eye 180 degree's @ each end)

1.I want to move my shock mounts up.

2.I want to elimimnate the barpin.
1. you're rotating only 90 degrees
2. look at the way axle travels
3. if you wanted to rotate those shockmounts you'd have to have the shock go straight up instead of at an angle: then you'll end up witha really short shock

Back