• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting Bolt on Drivers seat

Greg96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
We were pulling the carpet out today on the 96 and the mounting bolt on the front left side of the seat sheared off in the nut. It was a little rusty from 10 years of wet feet and snow melting I guess. Any idea how to go about fixing it to get a new bolt in when everything is remounted?

Also one other question- What size bit do the Torx bolts take that hold the seat belts in in the back? Any help would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

Cut the rest ofthe bolt off on the bottom, then drill out w/ a small bit, then 1/4" bit. Use 1/4" bolt w/ a wash on the bottom side. Use seam sealer around the bolt between the body and the washer on the bottom. I found that seam sealer is like liquid gold for the XJs.

Use heat on the broken bolt, then drill it out - watch out for the gas line.

T50 on the seat belt bolts.

Might be too late, but 5 of my seat mount bolts broke. I just cut the old out and welded a nut underneath. Same metric, so it all looks right when its done! Also, that seam sealer can actually hold moisture, you should see what my floors looked like under it! I suppose it its dry, and you make sure to check it, it would be ok, but I believe its for use inside the vehicle.....

Just reread the first post.....what a maroon I am. On the front mounts, I used a die grinder to cut a square out around the bolt remains, then fit a new piece, drilled it and welded a nut the the back then welded it in place on the brace. Had to do that three times, and both the rear outers! Good as new!

I was able to get my broken seat bolt out by heating it with a torch and then grab on to the remaining stud underneath the Jeep and screw it down out of the vehicle. Use a lot of penatrating oil while it's hot and don't catch your Jeep on fire.
Good luck. :)

Lodogg2221 said:
Might be too late, but 5 of my seat mount bolts broke. I just cut the old out and welded a nut underneath. Same metric, so it all looks right when its done! Also, that seam sealer can actually hold moisture, you should see what my floors looked like under it! I suppose it its dry, and you make sure to check it, it would be ok, but I believe its for use inside the vehicle.....

All cars are spot welded and glued together with seem sealer. The problem with XJ's is that it was ONLY used on the inside of the floor pans not on the outside seems under the jeep. Water gets traped between the over lapped metal seems and rusts. Once it gets through, your carpet holds it in. When you put in new floor pans always clean and seam seal the new metal from the outside and inside- coat w/ POR15 then undercoat.

Back