• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does '93 have ABS?

MyJeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Had a fool stop right in front of me today, jammed hard on the brakes, no skid or slide. I heard what sounded like a quiet jackhammer from the the front, but felt no pulse in the pedel.

XJ stopped great with no swerve, and drove and stopped perfectly fine after that.

Ive only owned it about 4 months, this was my first "panic stop", so Im just checking into this.

Thanx,
Andrew

ABS was an option beginning in model year 1989. It was never standard equipment. Your XJ might have ABS but the only way to be certain is to open the hood and look at the parts comprising your brake system.

Ment to mention, its an XJ Sport...

Is there a control box that will be obvious? I know on the S-10 trucks, there was a BIG box that you COULDNT miss, hidious looking thing.

Thanx,
Andrew

MyJeepXJ said:
Ment to mention, its an XJ Sport...

Is there a control box that will be obvious? I know on the S-10 trucks, there was a BIG box that you COULDNT miss, hidious looking thing.

Thanx,
Andrew
Look on the front axle in between the unibearing and the axle. If it looks like there is a tone ring on the axle shaft and a sensor and more wiring coming down to each side of the front axle then just the single brakeline, then you got ABS. You can also look under the hood and see if you got more than the standard amount of the items for the brake stuff.

or... when you turn on the jeep you can look at the status lights to the left of your steering wheel and see if ABS lights up. i believe its right next to the check engine light.

Back