• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LIne-x or herculiner for the interior?

Twisted XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have ripped out all my carpet due to a fire in the rear. I am ready to scrape it then spray it. Just want to see what others have done and get any suggestions.

Anyone have pics?

Twisted XJ said:
I have ripped out all my carpet due to a fire in the rear. I am ready to scrape it then spray it. Just want to see what others have done and get any suggestions.

Anyone have pics?
YOu might want to search: about a year ago I've posted looking for this paint that has some porcelain (or something like that) in it. It can reduce the temp and noise level: that's your best bet as both herculiner and lineX will not act as an insulator.

I used Durabak because it is available in 18 colors. I wanted to sort of match my interior color of tan, so I went with "sand" colored Durabak. Ordered it off E-bay to my door for $134. The "regular" colors like black, grey and I think, red are $89 as opposed to $119 for the others. You get 1 gallon and a special roller to apply it, which I cut into 3 pieces and used a trim roller from Home Depot, because you need a different roller for each coat because that stuff IS NOT coming off of whatever it gets on! I gallon gave me 2 coats which I think will be sufficient, but I would like to get another gallon just to make it super thick. Even if you got 2 gallons it would still be waaaaay cheaper than Rhino @ $800(around here!).

Herculiner is good stuff...i dont really like it for exterior projects as it seems to fade fast, but for interior its great. Make sure you take the time to do a GOOD prep job or else it will flake off fairly easily.

I used Herculiner for my floorboards (in the MJ) and a gallon laid it real thick. I like it alot, but still need to seal up the missing drain plugs. The road noise is a bit loud, but hey, its a Jeep. As far as I am concerned Jeep are about Gettin' er Done, not being able to take a nap in the nice comfy, quite interior.
But that is just my .02

If you are worried about noise though, just lay down some Herculiner (or brand of your choice) and then put new carpet in. You will have the best of both worlds. The protection of the liner and the noise dampening of the carpet.

You could use dynamat to cut down on the road noise, but that stuff is spendy. If this is your DD, putting new carpet and padding in is probably the best bet.

If you Hurculiner it, just watch out for your HOOTUS :nono:

Gee man, where did you drive it to? Just messing with you.

Hey, once you decide, let me know what you wanna get and I can see what sorta price my buddy can get you. I want to do the same on the old blue beast.

i too am thinking about doing some sort of truck bed lining, but i also want a semi quite ride. Anything will be better than what i have now, which is no carpet. I was thinking about possibly sparying in a rubberized undercoating, but i dont know how that would turn out for an interior. Or i was also think ing of doing the truck bed lining and then getting some big rubber mats for the noise. Do yall think that would work. Any other suggestions

From my readings it seems like the rubber mats might be a little dangerous, especially if you have a flowmaster or do not have a heat shield above the muffler.

I removed my carpets because of a fire, it would have melted any kind of rubber.

I am seriously entertaining the idea of finding something in a blue color.

JEEPHOG... I have a friend who dabbles in custom paint and bodywork, If I can get ahold of him, he should be able to get me a good deal. I 'll let you know.

Back