• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential carrier bearing cap question...

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. Ive got a small situation that Im looking for some advice on. I have a D44 out of an 87 XJ. I just installed an ARB and 4.56 gears. Due to an unfortunate misplacing of the directions, I somehow managed to initially install the "air ring" into the housing incorrectly. This of course led me to believe that I would have to modify the bearing cap, which I did. Then promptly cursed up a storm because I realized I had the "air ring" in wrong.

Basically my question is this... Should I worry about the cap being weakend? Or will it hold up fine... If I should be worried about it, what are the rules on replacing those caps? Can it be done... do I have to replace both at the same time? Let me know what you all think... Thanks in advance!

Justin

How did you modify it?

It's not a question of replacing both at once. The two caps aren't matched to each other in pairs, but the bearing bores are align honed to the axle shafts. Swapping them side-to-side or replacing one (or both) can cause a slight misalignment of the carrier in relation to the axle shafts.

Well... it was a stupid mistake. I should have double checked the ARB set up before taking this next step... I remembed seeing that some people had to notch the cap to clear the supply tube for the locker. So...I made a notch. Then I had to make it alittle bigger... and then just a hair more... etc etc. Until I realized my mistake. Then it was too late and there is a decent sized notch in the cap for no reason. I have a feeling it will be ok. I figured the cap was lined up with the housing. I guess Ill just have to live with it for now. Unless someone else chimes in with a cap replacement story. Thanks again.

Justin

Can you give us a pic?

Not sure how you messed up the seal housing? My guess is you thought you had the old style ARB where you had to drill the cap for the air line, then realized that in the new style the line snakes around the side of the cap. Having a hole drilled in the cap wouldn't be any different than having a hole with a copper line running through it.

The caps are matched like Eagle pointed out. They are usually pretty close, the problem is more the press fit around the bearing than alignment. Sometimes I've seen someone put the cap back on backwards or upside down the cap will break when it's torqued, sometimes nothing. Randy's makes tools so a new cap can be put on at home, but they are $$$. From what I've seen it just a hone that is the right size to match the new cap to the existing bore.

I need some more info on how you modified the existing cap. I would guess you are fine, but....

ghettocruiser said:
Well... it was a stupid mistake. I should have double checked the ARB set up before taking this next step... I remembed seeing that some people had to notch the cap to clear the supply tube for the locker. So...I made a notch. Then I had to make it alittle bigger... and then just a hair more... etc etc. Until I realized my mistake. Then it was too late and there is a decent sized notch in the cap for no reason. I have a feeling it will be ok. I figured the cap was lined up with the housing. I guess Ill just have to live with it for now. Unless someone else chimes in with a cap replacement story. Thanks again.

Justin

Size of the notch? Need some measurments.

Lincoln you are exatcly right. When I realized there was some confusion, I did look online and kind of used some of the pics that I found on there. Not realizing that they changed it. The notch in the cap is a tad bit wider than the tube itselft...so about an 1/8 or an inch or so. And it goes across the cap about 3/16 or so. Maybe a hair more. Sorry I dont have pics my camera took a spill while trying to take flood pictures awhile back.

I guess if worse comes to worse, I would dump the $$$ into the tool to fix it. It probably wont be seeing anything crazy offroad for awhile as Im rebuilding the front suspension and steering now too. The cap seems pretty beefy...but Its still something to make me nervous.

Justin

At 3/16" you'll probably be fine and never have a problem. Make sure you get the cap on the right way and be carefull when you torque it down. Also make sure the bearings are seated in the housing before snugging the caps down, don't use the cap to push the bearings in.

Thanks... Since it needs to be machined to use a new cap, Ill just be keeping my fingers crossed with it like it is. Thanks for the responses! Now on to the front axle/steering/suspension issues...

Justin

I've got older ARB's in my D44's and they both have a notch as big or bigger than what you are describing to clear the air line. Been working fine for years. Jeff

Back