• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard treasures

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
OK i kno there are more than one thread about this but maybe some people forgot about it so id like to open another one

so if anyone knows of any junkyard upgrades from other donor vehicles please post them HERE
THANKS

p.s. my XJ is on a strict junkyard diet so its on the cheap but fun side

Mothertrucker said:
OK i kno there are more than one thread about this but maybe some people forgot about it so id like to open another one

so if anyone knows of any junkyard upgrades from other donor vehicles please post them HERE
THANKS

p.s. my XJ is on a strict junkyard diet so its on the cheap but fun side

Some models of GM vehicles have a mirror with a thermomiter and compass function. Mount one and use your existing wiring/sender. Clean and easy.

gcurtis said:
Some models of GM vehicles have a mirror with a thermomiter and compass function. Mount one and use your existing wiring/sender. Clean and easy.

thats new i have never heard that

My XJ is exactly the same as wat u r talking about, so far here is what i have got and i will be posting pics soon...
Smittybuilt front tube bumper 50$
front skid $20
gas skid $20
rear hitch $35
Bumpstops in good shape off a tj and also off a xj, free
K&n panel filter free
1 tow hook Free
Vanguard ladder racks to be used for holding a hi lift and various other things. $35

things i want to get
extra throttle body to port and sell like i did mine,
zj rear disk setup
and others

GoreD said:
how does it get the temp and direction info? What do you hook the wires up to?

My '99 is prewired for it and there is a harness behind the bumper that the temp sender plugs into. If you have one that is prewired, it really is as close to a plug and play situation as you can get. Splice a couple of wires, mount the mirror and make sure you have a sensor behind the bumper and you are good to go.

Littlewhitexj said:
the shift fork from a dodge ram front axle is the sale size as the XJ, only made of steel. It can be welded in place to get rid of the Vac disco on a early XJ

Vac motors from Dodge Dakotas are also fairly similar. I say "fairly" because the case is slightly larger where the O-rings are, but the rest of the internals is identical. That was a fun discovery on my part :rolleyes:. If you have the patience, you can use the diaphragm and shaft from the Dodge unit to fix a broken Jeep one. The inside of those cases always seem to rust out.

I also hear that '97+ front windows are swappable onto '84-'96 XJs with wing/vent windows.

Still, my favorite "junkyard treasure" was the '98 XJ I'm driving right now :).

Does anyone else have problems finding Jeeps in junkyards? I've only seen a handful of them in the past few years, and they've all been picked over.

I swapped the "wing" vent window from an 87 2 door into my 96 XJ 4 door and it fit perfectly.

One question though, the 87 had the wing only on the passenger side so my Jeep only has this on the passenger side. Was that normal that they only put the wing on the right side?

The 87 XJ was not equipped with a D-44 in case youre wondering.

Every XJ that comes in around here is picked clean with nearly no useable parts. I had to go to the dealer just to pick up an antenna fender mount.

I know people say the 95-96 power brake booster is swappable, but I don't know how much modification has to be done

bajacalal said:
The 87 XJ was not equipped with a D-44 in case youre wondering
mine did

I mean't that particular one I saw I know they are common on certain years and I checked but it had a D35.

Anyway thats too bad not finding many XJs. I found out what day of the week they stock cars make plans accordingly. I have had good luck there, of course this being Southern California Cherokees I'm told are "a bit dated" -like I care. Plus, this bieng Southern California, there are a lot of vehicles on the road and bieng close to Mexico a lot of junk passes through the area. Plus the military bases, I think a lot of guys drive a clunker that needs to be sold quickly when they leave the area. The yard I go to is usually well stocked and they crush anything that has major parts taken off to make room. IIRC they *claim* to be the original u-pull it yard.

gcurtis said:
Here is a picture of the mirror and the part number. They can usually be found in Suburbans.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=1,1&item=8003118791&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:PIC

on a smiliar note, a lot of GM cars come with a rearview mirror with two map lights on the bottom. as an example, the 95 lumina i use to have. for power, i tapped into the vanity light feed for the passenger visor on my 87. cheaper than the compass/therm. models, and no extra sensors needed.

damn ill upgrade my JYD (junkyard dog) into a fancy offroad rig in no time thanks for these cheap upgrades any more??????????????????

I found an 80 something cherokee with factory air shocks in the rear and leveling switch thingy. under the hood was a factory electic air compressor/pump. Its was mounted to the firwall oposit the brake booster. I intalled it in my '91 with no problems. had to drill 2 holes. I still havent hooked the wires up yet. I plan two mount a tank someware with a pressure switch. i'm not sure what kind of pressure/volume this pump puts out but its identacle to the pumps found on Cadalacs. Exept its mounted to a bracket that fits the firewall.

Mothertrucker said:
if i pulled a caddi compresser could i inflate tires with it or just air shocks?????

A number of GM Mini vans and Buick RDV have a simular compressor.... Might do a tire or air shocks.

Back