• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check guages comes on.

robt46

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, need some advise. Every now and then my check guages light comes on when I first start it up. I notice my amp guage reads zero. It runs that way for a while and then it registers to its normal position. Is that a problem with the altinator or is there a sensor for the amp gauge. Ive looked at it couldnt see a sensor. I'm going to check the output on the altinator. See if it's OK. and charging when the amp guage registers zero. Anybody run into this. Thanks for any advise. By the way it's a 2000 Cherokee sport 4.0 automatic. Robt.

There is places that make code readers for 2000s. If I was you I would go get one to help find out what the deal is. Not only willit help with this problem but other ones that may pop up as well.

Just had the same thing happen this morning on my 2000 too....weird. So I disconnected the battery to reset the system, and the check engine light stayed off. Maybe just a hickup? This has happened before once. However, I was told by a smog mechanic that to reset the computer, you need to hook it to a machine, typically done by a shop. Is this true? I was alyways under the impression that by disconnecting the battery, the computer is reset.

I know that you can clear the computer. The way I do it is to disconnect the neg cable and cycle the key to the on position (not to start) 5 times. This dumps the energy in the computer from what I was told. Doing this may clear your CE light but it might wipe the code also. Check codes can find hidden problems. I like to keep them till I know what is going on. :repair:

just really wanted to know if the mechanic was feeding me BS when he told me that there was no way to reset an OBDII computer EXCEPT by having the shop do it. I kind of figured this was BS. I had to reset my awhile back because we were getting it smoged, and apparently, they are not allowed, or cant do a smog cert. if the check engine is on. Maybe this was BS too?

I just googled for scan tools, about $100. I have even seen them at Kragen.

The Haynes manual says NOT to disconnect the battery to clear the codes, but I think this is in effort to actually get the owner to fix the problem.

Last edited:
If it is still driveable, take it down to Autozone or something. They usually well hook their scanner up for free and tell you whats wrong. Saves you from the upfront expense of buying a scanner for yourself that you didn't plan on doing.

if it is the check gauge light and not the check engine light on, then the connector at the back of the cluster on the right side (theres two),needs to be replaced, not cleaned as some will tell you. cleaning it wont help and you wil have to do it again at a later date. any dealer wil have the part required. recommend soldering the wires too.

Hey thanks for the imput. Sorry I coulnt get back sooner. (work always gets in the way. Hehe) Yeah I'm gonna get a code reader. I'll get one off my tool man. Anyway,mabe I wasnt clear on the problem. The check guages lite stays on after the motor starts and the amp gauge is registering zero. It takes some time for the amp guage to go up and then the check guages lite goes off. That got me thinking it might be a 1. charging problem or mabe a sensor for the guage. 2 a glitch in the computer circuit. I dont receive any error messages and the engine trouble lite does not show. As soon as the amp guage registers the check guages lite goes out. That seems to be working OK. I go to work in the dark so as soon as I start up I pull my lites on. I just know how my luck goes. And I can see me with a bad altinator or something. Although a 2000 model shouldnt have an altenator going bad just yet. Ha. I'm going to check the output on the altenator see if its charging when the check guages lite comes on. Mabe its something with the guage. Stay tuned this has got me baffled. Is that connector you stated for the check guages lite. It seeems to be doing its job telling me the amp guage isnt reading. Robt.

jneary said:
if it is the check gauge light and not the check engine light on, then the connector at the back of the cluster on the right side (theres two),needs to be replaced, not cleaned as some will tell you. cleaning it wont help and you wil have to do it again at a later date. any dealer wil have the part required. recommend soldering the wires too.

Back