• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front locker

Big Al 331

NAXJA Forum User
What type of "locker" (auto/selectable) do you guys recommend for the front in a D30 on a XJ? I was think of a Powertrax or a LockRight. I know an ARB would be better, but money is not there for an ARB right now.

:dunno: :idea:

I have had great luck with an older Powertrax Lock-Rite that was in the axle I bought from One Ton XJ. I have a non-disco (88 Limited) HP30 axle, AW4, and a 231 case.

In 2WD it is invisible & quiet. NO clicks, pops etc. In 4WD it spins both wheels. :dunno: what's wrong with that? My only observation (coming from 2 years with a True Trac LS, then 1 year open front) is that it 'plows' to the outside a little in turns in the mud.

Aussie Locker is a new company, and they have theirs intro-priced at $200. I have heard that Powertrax got bought by another company, and they are having QC problems with their stuff.

Ideal for a front diff IMHO is a TracTech (Detroit) Electrac. Limited slip or locked at the touch of a button, plus provision for manual override in either LS or lock. (Try that with an ARB...got bicycle pump?)

Selectable would be nice if you spend a lot of time on the road (snow) in 4WD. OTOH once you get to know how a locker works I don't see it as an issue.

Thank you. That will help me make my decision on the front. Now I just need to find out which one to buy.

:cheers:

I have a lockrite in the D30 disco and broke the inner axle shaft
at tellico and the lock right held up.So IMHO the lockrite is tough
as h#ll For the axle broke before it did.

When I get back down south I plan to make a trip to Tellico. Guess I need to set up my rig before I get there.

3rd vote for Lock Right. I've got one in my HP non-disco 30 front, along with a welded 8.25" rear. Good,stout combo so far :D You can't beat the performance VS. dollar the Lock Right units give you.

do you guys have upgraded shafts and joints or just 297s or just 260s. I have 260s and would like to upgrade before locker since I have 35s but hell I may just throw one in there since they are plenty cheap.

I have late-model 297 shafts with fresh UJs in mine, stock hubs, spare 260 shafts onboard.

Back