• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping engines,need advice.

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend im pulling my origonal motor and putting in my new reman. Its a 89 4.0l and I have never pulled a motor out a this before,andy suggestions to make this any quicker,Anything i need to be aware of with pulling the motor.Anything special i need to do with tranny when installing new one?

What year motor are you replacing it with?
The top 2 bellhousing bolts are a PITA and require a 12pt metric wrench/socket to remove from the tranny. I couldn't get them out and had to pull the tranny too.

same year 89. With my 2 ton hoist,will that be able to pull that block up and over the front? How long should this take?(given no problems)

Opinions vary as always, but here's what works for me.

Get underneath, disconnect the tcase shift linkage. Not the bolt, but the rod that pries out of the bushing attached to the unibody. Pull the crossmember, let the trans hang down quite a ways- until you can get a standard length wrench on the upper tcase mounting nuts. Remove the six nuts and tcase. Jack the motor and trans back up, put the crossmember back on loosely to hold the weight for a while.

Now move up front. It only takes about 10 minutes to remove the whole front clip, radiator etc. The AC condensor will swing out of the way towards the passenger fender, use bungees to secure.

For lifting points, on a Renix motor I put one end of a chain on the driver's side rear head bolt, in fact it's where the body ground strap attaches. At the front I remove the AC compressor. Reinstall one of the front-to-back long compressor bolts through the bracket and chain.

This way the Torx bolts, converter bolts and all that jazz are out in the open. As for taking longer.. well when I blew up the MJ's motor: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=TwoRodsBroke
removing the aftermath took 1:15 with air tools, a lift, and two guys.

Back