• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project xj questions(I need help)

ONX

NAXJA Forum User
ok I just picked up a 88 cherokee with the strait 6 ax15 5 speed np231 t case and a dana 35 in the back now here are my plans and questions (I am trying to just keep it in one thread)

1. I want to put in a np242 t-case in what do I need for this conversion?

2.I want this cherokee to be able to rip around trails but still be able to rockcrawl and mud with my friends wranglers. I am pretty sold on 33's unless I run to much of a risk of rolling (I am gonna put on wheel spacers front and back) What LONG-ARM lift is my best bet and what else will make my jeep more stable (sway bars? if so what brand? Chassis stiffiners?) and what shocks should I use (have to be resovoir)

3. I hate the color of the intirior where can I get new plastic, headliner and the like.

4. I would really like to put 2 bucket seats in the back. Is this possible?

5. I need a heavy duty rear bumper with a tire carrier I really want one that wraps around the bottom corner fenders.

6. Will a dana 35 handle 33's? if not where do I get a 44 assembly

7.what mods can I do to increase power?

8. What gearing should I go with if I am running 33's (I want to still be able to go fairly fast on trails) What gearing should I do if I am running 32's or 31's?

9.Where can I find a dual battery setup?

10. Where can I get ox lockers(I cant seem to find they're official web site)

11.How hard is it to swap a 4.0 for a 4.0 h.o. and what do I need to do it.

12.How hard would it be to put in a sunroof?

13.can I put one of the overhead consoles with the compass and thermomiter in my cherokee?

14.What exhaust header combo is the best bang for your buck?

if you have any other recommendations for things I should do please feel free to post it.

thnx for looking any tips or links or coments are apreciated.

Last edited:
every single question you just asked can be found if you search. ive had so many questions answered by searching. and welcome to the site. there is more than enough helpfull info here and very knowledgeable guys here.

what do you think this is?

spoonfed.jpg

how about this -
do two things for me and i will put in a little time and answer all your questions here.

use this link here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?

report back with the most conclusive thread in each search on all 13 of your questions.

if in all your research, you havent found anything - then shoot me a PM and i will put in some research - I will give you till thanksgiving to come up with your answers.

Savvy?

1. Keep the 231
2. Search
3. If it's maroon, PM me.
4. Probably not
5. Search
6. Yes on the street I've seen them handle 35's. No offroad, Junkyard
7. Search
8. Search
9. Search
10.SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
11.EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
12.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
13.RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
14.CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
15.HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the dealer told me I have ax-15 and I did get some questions answered by searching but not all of them I will edit the post to the questions I still need answered

sorry you guys i wasnt trying to be a pain by posting these questions I am not suer net savy . I used the search and found answeres to most of my questions but i still need a good plact to get all of the interior stuff and if some one could just post ox loxkers official web site i would apreciate it

ONX said:
1. I want to put in a np242 t-case in what do I need for this conversion?

Why in gawds name would you want to do this?

That question is as far as I got, I was too shocked to move on!

ONX said:
sorry you guys i wasnt trying to be a pain by posting these questions I am not suer net savy . I used the search and found answeres to most of my questions but i still need a good plact to get all of the interior stuff and if some one could just post ox loxkers official web site i would apreciate it
suggestion: work on one thing at a time, ask about one thing at a time: long post with many questions covering different ends of the spectrum is ussually a bad (whether it's jeeps or something else). Also if you say you did a search, ask more specific questions along the lines of:
I want to do X, found Y info on the topic, and Z from Y confuses me: can someone explain it better.

What the other guys said but anyway...

1.) T-case and misc other shifter bits. Search, been covered many times.

2.) For 33s I suggest you search comparing drop brackets and long arms. Each has issues - make sure you have your eyes open when choosing one over the other.

3.) JY

4.) Yes

5.) Search. There's lots out there - ends up being a taste/style decision for most.

6.) No, JY.

7.) Anything you can do with any engine. Why do you want more power? Regear to compensate for larger tires and reduced aerodynamics. I like the idea of a 4.6 stroker with forced induction when rebuild time comes.

8.) 4.56:1 If you decide to stick with 31s get JY axles with 4.10s in them.

9.) search, there's a few ways. One is even a turnkey product (overpriced, in Quadratec catalog).

10.) Dunno.

11.) Why? Tune the RENIX system.

12.) Pay someone or use sawzall and MIG.

13.) Yes.

14.) Banks or Borla seem to be prefered.

HTH

JY := junk_yard

unless its been swaped in, you dont have an ax15 on an 88. the sunroof is stupid... the 242 is stupid as well. if your going to buy long arms, buy clayton long arms. they have a lifetime warrantee. claytonoffroad.com i think is the site. if you want more power you can buy a new head at rustys. look at performance. the d35 will handle 33s.. but it a favor and do 33x10.5. the non HO motor is just fine. lots of the stuff u wanna do is stupid... if the interior is bothering you that bad, Krylon makes spraypaint for plastics

stupidfast said:
unless its been swaped in, you dont have an ax15 on an 88. the sunroof is stupid... the 242 is stupid as well. if your going to buy long arms, buy clayton long arms. they have a lifetime warrantee. claytonoffroad.com i think is the site. if you want more power you can buy a new head at rustys. look at performance. the d35 will handle 33s.. but it a favor and do 33x10.5. the non HO motor is just fine. lots of the stuff u wanna do is stupid... if the interior is bothering you that bad, Krylon makes spraypaint for plastics
ummm you're rather freely using the word stupid without substantiating the reasons for its use..... and that's plain STUPID.
OK, The D35 with 33's is asking for trouble. 242 is not stupid although it does not have as much aftermarket support as a 231. 'nuff said

Back